Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the board and just bought my first pair of Alden shoes. Beautiful and obviously well made shoe. I normally wear a sz 12B in Johnston & Murphy Greenwich style shoes. I just got the Aldens in and I'm going to ship them back for a different size. The issue is that when I stand in them, I feel like a lot of pressure is on the bottom outside part of my big toe in each shoe. Kind of like that is where my weight is being distributed. I don't feel like they are too short, just that the cut of the shoe might be too narrow near the toes. So, should I jump up from a 12B to a 13B or go from a 12B to a 12C? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I purchased the calf skin wing tip blucher on an aberdeen last. Since this is my favorite style in this color, switching to another last/shoe isn't an option. BTW, I saw the thread about Amazon's deal on the AE cordovan shoes. Those are some beauties! I'm also thinking about springing for those shoes since they're a steal. How does that shoe compare to this Alden in the toe box? Thanks.

Bill

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I purchased the calf skin wing tip blucher on an aberdeen last. Since this is my favorite style in this color, switching to another last/shoe isn't an option. BTW, I saw the thread about Amazon's deal on the AE cordovan shoes. Those are some beauties! I'm also thinking about springing for those shoes since they're a steal. How does that shoe compare to this Alden in the toe box? Thanks.

Bill
Is this the shoe you are mentioning?

https://aldenshoe.com/cat_ane2_966.htm

I had to go up in size (not in width) to acommodate the toes - you may be able to go a width narrower when you go up in size, but definitely try 13B first. Alden does have 12.5, this may be a rare size, but Shoemart does stock it on Aberdeen last.

AE last the longwings are on (7) is roomy in toe area compared to Alden's Aberdeen (as pretty much anything is, Aberdeen is very tight it the toe).

Keep in mind that the shoes are quite different - AE longwing shoe is not as sleek as the Alden model you have, has thick double sole, and wings are all the way to the heel (Aldens go to the sole).
Shell cordovan just makes these shoes a "gunboat" model.

That said it's a grate deal, and a great shoe, I just wanted to point the differences.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Because of the narrow toe box on the Alden Aberdeen last, you may find it tough to impossible to get a proper fit in this last, no matter which size or fit you try.

You may want to consider trying some other Alden lasts. You will enjoy your shoes much more if they are comfortable, even if they are not your first choice of toe style.

I have tried most of the Alden lasts, and the only two I can wear are the Plaza and Copley lasts. The Copley last is the Aberdeen with a wider toe box. Many on this forum like the Plaza last, as they consider it one of Alden's most stylish lasts.

Good luck finding some comfortable Alden shoes.

Jess

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.