Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
214 Posts
Try Carroll & Company... Stores in Pasadena and Beverly Hills.

They carry Aldens and do some of their Special Make-ups. If anybody will have them in LA, it's these guys. Nice people, too.

In Pasadena, see Barry.

· Registered
2,371 Posts
Try Carroll & Company... Stores in Pasadena and Beverly Hills.

They carry Aldens and do some of their Special Make-ups. If anybody will have them in LA, it's these guys. Nice people, too.

In Pasadena, see Barry.
How flexible is Alden's special make up versus Allen Edmonds special make up?

With Allen Edmonds special make up, the only thing that separates special make up from ready to wear is that with special make up you can choose whatever soles and leathers you want, as long as AE offers them (including soles and leathers-both texture and color that are not available on a particular shoe RTW).

Also, with Allen Edmonds special make up, there are a few standard sizes (mainly widths) that are unavailable RTW.

Otherwise, AE special make up is identical to AE RTW. In this case, with AE special make up, you cannot special order a shoe model or shoe style that AE normally does not offer? Plus, all of AE's shoe models and shoe styles can only be on the standard last (i.e. a last that is not created from scratch) that AE offers that they are normally on and not any other standard last that AE offers, just like with RTW. AE will not even make any modifications what so ever to the last that the shoe is on.

Does Alden special make up allow any of the things mentioned above that AE special make up does not allow?

· Registered
780 Posts
Modified Last

As I understand it, the Modified Last is a semi-orthopedic last.
Style choices are limited as seen in their WebSite. If it is in the
orthopedic category, then separate retailers carry it. My guess
is that Carroll's would not be one of them.

· Registered
643 Posts
Not LA, but online:

IMHO, this is their best fitting last for most feet, but hard to find, and even harder in shell. i have only been able to score 2 pairs.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
Don't waste your time at Carroll & Co. They really don't know anything about shoes or clothing. In the old days when Dick Carroll ran the place he had knowledgeable salespeople that actually got involved with the suppliers and knew what they were selling.

Now that the son is running the show all you get are smiles and alot of I don't knows. Private label stuff that who knows where it came from and big prices. Certainly not the store it was in the old days. And I am not that old. Just well informed:icon_smile_big:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.