Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

for all of you who haven't noticed: I'm the new guy. I've been reading along this forum for a couple of months now and have learned a great deal from it, thank you all for that.

As I'll be heading to NYC in September, shoes are top on my shopping list. So far, I've shortlisted the Alden Chukkas in Kudu and the Alden Plain Toe Bluchers / Welterweight / All Weather Walkers.

However, as far as I understand, the main difference between the latter 3 is the sole, right? Obviously, the PTBs have rubber soles, the AWW krepe (sp?) soles - but what about the Welterweights? What's a "microcellular" outsole and why is it considerably more expensive?

Thanks for all answers in this regard,

David

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the All Weather Walkers with the microcellular sole; my father has the AWW with crepe sole and the PTB with rubber sole. The AWW with the microcellular sole is noticeably lighter in weight than the crepe soled version and has metal grommets on the eylets. Otherwise they are the exact same shoe. Actually, when I bought mine, the microcellular sole was $10 less than the crepe soled version.

The PTB with rubber soles was less expensive than than the AWWs. It has a Goodyear sole, which is perfectly adequate. The leather is different, though. The AWW is unique and is quite water repellant.

I am sure you would be happy with any of them. Just remember they are all on the Barrie last which is very voluminous (I needed an insole to reduce the volume). Have a great trip to NY!

·
Senior Moderator<br>Technical Support
2,654 Posts
What's a "microcellular" outsole and why is it considerably more expensive?
I have not seen shoes with Alden's microcellular rubber sole; but I have seen shoes with this sole from other brands, and I imagine that they are similar. A microcellular sole is made from rubber with huge numbers of tiny bubbles in it. The result is something that is soft and springy and very comfortable. The downside is that it is not particularly durable.

I'm not sure why Alden's regular rubber-soled shoes are considerably less expensive than either the crepe rubber-soled ones or the microcellular rubber-soled ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.