Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm in the process of revamping my shoe inventory and the current state of Allen Edmonds has me focusing more on Alden, especially the classic Leisure Handsewn mocassin. As of now I own the 981, 984, 986, and 17834F, which is described as Natural Tan Chromexcel leather. Has anyone encountered a matching belt for this shoe? How about the 983 in Burnished Tan Calfskin? Alden Shop of San Francisco offers a tan calfskin belt, but I was advised via email that it may not be an exact match for the 983. I understand of course that opinions differ as to whether the belt should/must match one's shoes, but for now I'm merely trying to determine availability.

Any input is greatly welcomed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I have considered this. I guess if the color of the leather portion of the belt is reasonably similar to the shoes it could work. I'll check them out when I go back to O'Connell's in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Another vote for the surcingle.
I most often wear surcingles with tan, and natural shade shoes. I also tend to wear surcingles or ribbon belts with my one pair of suede shoes.

I also have the O'Connell's chestnut scotch grain belt. That one might work for you as well.

·
1,767 Posts
Actually I have considered this. I guess if the color of the leather portion of the belt is reasonably similar to the shoes it could work. I'll check them out when I go back to O'Connell's in a couple of weeks.
The leather portion of the surcingle is a dark tan. In the Allen Edmonds catalogue that just arrived, there are two dress leather belts that will work. You might see if you like either the Midland in oxblood, or the Cyrus Avenue in dark snuff. When you are next in OCLS, please tell Ethan that Bill Stephenson in OKC sends regards. Those who post here need to do all that we can to be sure that they continue to prosper. OCLS is one of the very few sources of genuine trad gear, plus being super easy to do business with.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I have Alden Black, tan and Burgundy belts. Just recently bought a traditional tassel Aberdeen last and it is considerably darker than the burgundy.I'm not that picky if they are relatively close. Alden makes good belts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have Alden Black, tan and Burgundy belts. Just recently bought a traditional tassel Aberdeen last and it is considerably darker than the burgundy.I'm not that picky if they are relatively close. Alden makes good belts.
They do indeed. I just replaced my black and burgundy calfskin belts due to “shrinkage” of my original 2005 examples. 😉

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
They do indeed. I just replaced my black and burgundy calfskin belts due to “shrinkage” of my original 2005 examples. 😉
Watchman, I've also got both dark burgundy and a peanut alligator belts that sort of fill in the color range. Way too many dressier belts for an old guy moving on Monday to a Retirement Community!

·
(aka TKI67)
3,197 Posts
Watchman, I've also got both dark burgundy and a peanut alligator belts that sort of fill in the color range. Way too many dressier belts for an old guy moving on Monday to a Retirement Community!
I know folks who moved to retirement communities and dressed quite well, surrounded by people of like age and sensibility, people who appreciated knotting a tie and pulling on an odd jacket for KTs and dinner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts