Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get a pair of Alden 549? That's the brown, Algonquin Blucher, built on their modified last.

Alden says since there is no Alden Foot Balance System dealer near me (in Minneapolis), that I can order direct from them.

There are two Alden dealers here (Hubert W. White, downtown Mpls, and Judd Frost, Wayzata), but they don't deal in Alden's Foot Balance line of shoes. I suppose I should go to them to get my feet measured.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Am I missing anything? From what I've heard of gentlemen who have shoes built on the modified last (i.e., whose foot demands that last), they'll never order anything else again!

Thanks!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bother!

Bother! It sounds like the only way I'll get a pair of Alden Modified Lasts is via the mail. Sigh. Not the best way to get well-fitting shoes.

Perhaps Alden's modified lasts are a niche market, as the sack suit is?

I think I'll explore Allen Edmonds Ashton and Mephisto Phoebus as analogous alternatives to the Alden 549.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Bother! It sounds like the only way I'll get a pair of Alden Modified Lasts is via the mail. Sigh. Not the best way to get well-fitting shoes.

Perhaps Alden's modified lasts are a niche market, as the sack suit is?

I think I'll explore Allen Edmonds Ashton and Mephisto Phoebus as analogous alternatives to the Alden 549.
I would call Ron at Moulded Shoe in NY. He should be able to help you. I agree that you should really be fitted in person - perhaps they can send you a few pairs and let you try them on to see what fits best - then return the others. Tell him you heard about the store on this forum from some of his regular customers.

Phone: 212-683-9389

It might be helpful for you to get measured at a local shoe store that uses a Brannock device before calling. Just a things to watch out for:
1. Leather soled modified last shoes that do not come with removable inserts will fit a bit differently than the rubber soled shoes that do (i.e. the rubber soled shoes tend to have a bit more depth).
2. Do you wear orthotics? If so - it will be quite difficult to get a good fit through the mail.

I would give the Modified Last a try first - if you get a proper fit, they are extremely comfortable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.