Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have these?

I'm really liking the color and shape of them. Would love to get opinions about these if you have them.

I found them on Leather Soul Hawaii, and it looks like they're exclusive to them.

Which is too bad, because there's an Alden shop right here in San Francisco, and I wouldn't be able to get them there!

·
Senior Moderator<br>Technical Support
2,654 Posts
Alden does stock Flex Welt chukkas unlined in three different colors of suede. See their website here for the style numbers -- the Alden Shop in San Francisco should be able to order them if they don't have them in stock.

As for the ability of individual Alden merchants to have Alden make up special runs that aren't in regular catalogue, it's given Alden a great deal of vitality over the past decade or so.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, jcusey. I'm not a fan of suede, but perhaps I should reconsider them. At the very least I try them on for fit in the store, and then order the burgundy leather ones from Leather Soul Hawaii.

I'm intrigued to see what all the other Alden special runs for individual merchants are.

·
2,654 Posts
I'm intrigued to see what all the other Alden special runs for individual merchants are.
A number of merchants do this. Among them, Tom Park at , Adam Knott at Alden of Carmel (he also has pictures of special runs done for J. Gilbert Footwear in Seattle, although he does not sell those directly), and The Shoe Mart. The Alden Shop in San Francisco has also done this, although I don't see any on their website right now. The Alden Shop in NYC does some special runs, too, although they don't have a website. This list is by no means exhaustive.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
So do all the Alden stores around the country work like franchises? I didn't realize they weren't all owned by Alden, the manufacturer. It makes sense now why there are separate URLS for https://www.aldenshoe.com and https://www.aldenshop.com
They are not even franchises. They are individual retail businesses, they purchase their stock from Alden, and are free to sell whatever additional maker they wish to -although some specialize in Alden only, ant those (like SF and NYC stores) look like they are owned by Alden, but they are not.

Back to original question, I liked the flex welt but I did not like the unlined part of the suede chukkas. They felt flimsy. Suede (although Alden uses a very nice thick hide) just did not look good without support from the back. Again, this is just my dislike of visual appearance of unlined suede, these shoes are probably quite comfortable.

The shoe in the picture is lined, which makes it significantly different in fit - I would not use fitting experience with unlined suede for comparison.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are not even franchises. They are individual retail businesses, they purchase their stock from Alden, and are free to sell whatever additional maker they wish to -although some specialize in Alden only, ant those (like SF and NYC stores) look like they are owned by Alden, but they are not.
Interesting, so is it possible to order custom Alden shoes based from one of these stores? Or would one have to convince them to order an entire run?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Interesting, so is it possible to order custom Alden shoes based from one of these stores? Or would one have to convince them to order an entire run?
No, they need to get a run (I think that 12 pairs is the operative word).

You may want to inquire what runs they will be placing in the future, and you can add your size to the run.

·
2,654 Posts
Alden stopped doing one-off specials a few years ago -- they're just too disruptive to the smooth operation of a production line. I have heard rumblings that certain retailers manage to get some specials done for certain (presumably very good) customers, but I don't know who those retailers might be. I'm inclined to believe that it's a tall tale.

In any event, for me, it requires finding a model that is commercially viable and a retailer who thinks that he can sell an entire run. Witness the LeatherSoul/AAAC Alden shoe.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I have heard rumblings that certain retailers manage to get some specials done for certain (presumably very good) customers, but I don't know who those retailers might be. I'm inclined to believe that it's a tall tale.
Moulded shoe offered me a one-off boot in shell for about 1K (3 weeks ago). Didn't take it, so it still may be a tall tale.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Alden stopped doing one-off specials a few years ago -- they're just too disruptive to the smooth operation of a production line. I have heard rumblings that certain retailers manage to get some specials done for certain (presumably very good) customers, but I don't know who those retailers might be. I'm inclined to believe that it's a tall tale.
I got one done through an Alden retailer. Took delivery of the shoes last month. Had to wait well over a year and pay a $300 upcharge. So it can be done, but it's definitely not the normal course of business for any of the parties involved in the transaction.

·
Registered
830 Posts
That is ridiculous. $1000 is not a fair price to charge.

BTW, the Alden Shop in SF and DC are company owned.
Was the offer for $1000 on a Modified Last boot in Shell Cordovan? I think it's a bit tongue and cheek... These models run around $1000 in Japan so i'm assuming that the Moulded Shoe guys were scaring you away a bit. Would be curious to know what kind of boot they were offering to sell you.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Was the offer for $1000 on a Modified Last boot in Shell Cordovan? I think it's a bit tongue and cheek... These models run around $1000 in Japan so i'm assuming that the Moulded Shoe guys were scaring you away a bit. Would be curious to know what kind of boot they were offering to sell you.
Yes, that was the shoe (boot). In stock items were priced at $650 or so.
So, 50% (or so) is a premium for a stock special order - if Alden even wants to do them.

Again, this was the price if I wanted a run of ONE shoe. Moulded shoe offered to add my order to their next run (at regular price) - with usual wait.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.