Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone with words of wisdom,

About a month ago I purchased my first pair of Alden Cape Cods - the drop tassel loafer. I find them to be very comfortable, but I do have one issue with them. The heels have worn down well beyond the point of wear of any of my other Aldens (main line), my Gucci bit loafers, or even my lowly Weejuns - some pairs years old. Is this "normal" for the Cape Cod line? I would have thought the piece of rubber (what is it called?) would be the same as with the main line Aldens.

Thank you for any input.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Funny you should post this today. I thrifted a pair of very nice Cape Cod bit loafers, just this morning. The uppers are immacualte, the soles look as thought they've been worn maybe 10 times, but the heel lifts need to be replaced. The rubber in the heel seems to be worn well beyond the wear of the rest of the shoe and I notice that the rubber piece doesn't extend through the entire heel on the second level. Perhaps the Cape Cods use a different system of construction in the heel than other Alden models.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
The heels on my Cape Cod bits are a little worn, but I don't think any more than they should be...considering I've had them about a year. This thread does remind me that I do need to get the rubber (I can't remember the term either!) replaced.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I had a similar issue - but as soon as I replaced the heel, I needed the sole replaced too. Next time I will just do the whole job at once.

BTW, I would not send Cape Cods to Alden. Although they Alden does a superb job, these are non welted shoes.

·
Registered
260 Posts
When I first got my Cape Cod's I too noticed the heel wore very quickly, this wear has since stopped.

In other words during the first 10 or so wearings the heel wore so quickly I thought that another 10 wearings would necesatate heel replacement. Since that time I've worn the shoes 50 times with little additional wear. It is almost like once the heel wore to accomidate my gate it stopped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.