Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a well worn pair of shell BB plaintoe bluchers. They havebeen resoled and heeled in the past and worn many more times since then. The hole that the foot goes in has been stretched so that from the side, it extends longer than the sole. I'm sure Alden could repair this and make this a spectacular pair of shoes again. My main concern is that I don't want to lose the chocolatey brown shade that the color 8 has turned into, but the shell needs to be boned to smooth it down again. Will they redye the leather back to color 8 that is was originally or can I expect a near new pair of cigar shell plain toes with metal eyelets?
Thanks!
p.s. Who wants to see pics?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have a well worn pair of shell BB plaintoe bluchers. They havebeen resoled and heeled in the past and worn many more times since then. The hole that the foot goes in has been stretched so that from the side, it extends longer than the sole. I'm sure Alden could repair this and make this a spectacular pair of shoes again. My main concern is that I don't want to lose the chocolatey brown shade that the color 8 has turned into, but the shell needs to be boned to smooth it down again. Will they redye the leather back to color 8 that is was originally or can I expect a near new pair of cigar shell plain toes with metal eyelets?
Thanks!
p.s. Who wants to see pics?
Great questions, one and all, that should be directed to the Alden people themselves. I recently posted on a happy AE recrafting, and I'll bet that my Aldens will have similar success in about 2 years. Talk to them about the technical aspects of your recrafting. It will be informative for you, and will keep them on their toes, which is good for all of us! Good luck, and pics, please!! Bill

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think Alden will follow your instructions

and if you don't want them polished, they won't polish them. I've read posts of others here 'roundabouts, who've requested this approach from Alden and it has been complied with.

Please post the before and after pics.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a few more: I took some with flash to show the condition of the shell, and some without to show the color to the naked eye. As you can see, they are not without flaw, but I think if Alden did their magic, the shoes would be spectacular. Alden just knows how to work with shell. Here's a few more:

·
Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
8,748 Posts
^Nice shoes.

I sent a pair of shell MacNeils to AE about a year ago for a refurbish. I specifically requested that they not refinish the shell. When I got it back they had honored my request, but the process of restoration had also smoothed the shell a great deal. I would think that if AE would do it, Alden would, too.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bet those came off of ebay about a week ago. I am not even gonna mention the price paid for them!!!!
Guilty as charged!!! I really wanted the BB version with the metal eyelets, which rarely come available as it is, not to mention a certain size. Full retail is not an option, but I think I got a decent price. Alden shell oxfords rarely go for less than $200 in common sizes even used.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.