Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the camera out and couldn't resist snapping a few pics of a battered pair of Alden 986's against a very nice pair of BB Cordovan Penny Loafers of the same material. The 986's are very faded and reveal spots that must have been on the cordovan before the dying process. I love the light brown faded look, they show few traces of the eggplant color of new #8's. They remind me of Polo Darlton Loafers with the light antiquing on the brown cordovan. I love how the strap is much darker than the tongue.

First, the two side by side with flash.

Next, without flash.

The beloved faded tongue:

The toe:

Another shot of the tongue:

Another comparison shot without flash:

BTW, the old 986's still have a beautiful glossiness and luster to the cordovan. They really shine after a brushing.
Hope you enjoyed the shots!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry about how dark the pics without flash are, it's a gloomy day today! The real color of the 986's is much close to the pics with flash.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope Got Shell? doesn't mind my posting a shot on this thread. Here are my truly well-worn LHS that started out # 8, but have mellowed to a variety of shades, especially the toe of the left shoe.
I really like your 986s too. I can see alot of similarities in how the cordovan aged. Thx for the pics.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm going to see what just sunlight rain and a brushing now and again does to the shell. I'll wax and cream my calf but I think I like the messy look the hard wearing cordovan takes (even though it's yet to look in any way messy). i might change my mind in time with them already having a few scratches from dames hittin' the toes while dancing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.