Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,297 Posts
If you're talking about Alan Flusser Custom, found at Saks, it is not the same thing that is at Steinmart.

· Registered
2,787 Posts
At one time the Flusser shop was located within Saks. (Does SFA currently carry a Flusser line?) You might find a photo of it in the online archives of Cigar Aficionado magazine.

Is this a new, or perhaps thrifted, etc., coat?

If from the past it could possibly have been Greenfield of Brooklyn or Copley of Canada. Southwick currently makes the Alan Flusser MTM.

(Flusser used to unload his remaindered/excess ties at Stein Mart, but that was before the AF branded line for SM. As young'uns Jay Stein and Flusser attended the same summer camp. In the '80s Flusser did a line for Jacques Penney, believe it or not.)

· Registered
1,151 Posts
I agree with others, Flusser used to be at Saks in the space now occupied by Mimmo Spano. I am under the impression that the goods Flusser made for Saks in those days were very good in quality, but I do not have any pieces that would confirm that impression. I do not think that Alan currently makes anything for Saks.

· Registered
274 Posts
I am under the impression that the goods Flusser made for Saks in those days were very good in quality, ...
They were. In fact, there's one from that era on eBay right now.

I've seen several of the old suits in person. The only details I didn't like were the very straight, somewhat wide leg (rather than slightly tapered), and the sloping shoulders. The chest and back were very draped.

An example:

· Registered
249 Posts
how does dated appearance of a suit reflect Flusser's vision of classic dressing?

This thread brings up the interesting notion as to whether Flusser's notions of classic tailoring are truly classic and ageless ...or classic through the prism of the age in whcih we live?

· Registered
274 Posts
I don't think his suits from the '80s were timeless. They seem to have closely emulated the style of a specific time and place: 1930s Savile Row. I think that Flusser tried to recreate Fred Astaire's outfits from The Row. Flusser's 1980s single-breasted, 3/2 roll, "English blade" jackets look much like the grey flannel version worn by Astaire in the '30s (and beyond). And yes, Astaire's peak lapels in the '30s did tend to point skyward; and so did Flusser's.

· Registered
8,536 Posts
This thread brings up the interesting notion as to whether Flusser's notions of classic tailoring are truly classic and ageless ...or classic through the prism of the age in whcih we live?
The 4 on 2 sport coat show above looks quite classic to me. My father's Alan Flusser for SFA blazer is a DB 4 on 1 with a low gorge that has quite the 1980's look to it. My father's is not classic. But look at Mimmo Spano's suits. They are in the classic style from the 1930's. While I'm sure most of us here like the 1930's suits, they do look just a little dated. They have a slightly lower gorge and baggier trousers. And that came back in the 80's. Throughout the life of the suits what changes are the lapel width, gorge heigh, button stance, pant leg width, popularity of pleats, and (now) trouser rise. Classic proportions always hold true, and that's what Flusser writes in his books. He writes about how to achieve classic proportions. Whether or not he adheres to those principles is beyond my knowledge.

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Classic and ageless are different things.

Classic to me means something that goes back, at most, forty or fifty years.

Flusser has written that back in the 70s he got some stuff made at A&S. His custom or MTM work was his interpretation of that style.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.