Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day gents,

How do you dress when the time comes to travel on an airplane?

Since finding my fashion sense, I have noticed that people dress awfully when they go flying. I can understand that the security procedures that we have to go through will discourage the wearing of proper attire (three piece suits and the like) - but some people take it to an extreme.

It's commonplace for me to see pax wearing wife-beater undershirts, baseball caps, pajamas, torn jeans, and other sartorial horrors. Even flying first or business class, only select few pax wear what I consider proper, respectable attire.

So I ask you! What do you wear when you go flying?

I'll start.

Me: Suit, tie, pocket square, J&M lace-up leather shoes. No shortcuts here :icon_smile:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Suit and tie, dress shirts, leather shoes.

There are plenty here that seem angry about such choices because they don't wear such clothes on planes. Whatever. Always look your best--you never know who you'll meet or have to impress on the road.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A friend of mine, who is a flight attendant for Continental, put it this way regarding the dress of those who fly: Flying used to be classy; now people fly because they can't afford the bus. But among her other social observations was her disgust for suitors who drove a fancy car but had rotten teeth.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Obviously if I have a meeting immediately after the flight, it's full business attire.

However, if I'm flying somewhere and will have time to change I'll usually wear a pair of blue jeans, OCBD, sport coat and casual shoes.

I used to try and make a point of wearing loafers, but now that they've put in chairs at most security checkpoints, it's easy to put your shoes back on after going through security.

The jeans are comfortable and don't wrinkle and the sport coat is because I like having the extra pockets to carry my boarding pass, reading glasses and quite often a paperback book or magazine in the pockets. Also, if the plane is chilly, I don't have to ask for a blanket.

·
Registered
921 Posts
This is certainly not to defend those that are wearing "pajamas", torn sweat pants, etc., but I do not personally wear a suit and tie when taking a plane to travel.

Due to the unfortunate state of travel today, anticipated delays, having to sit and wait and wait and wait in often filthy airports, sitting on planes and being squeezed into a sardine-like atmosphere, with some shlub that is sitting next to me with his extra pounds spilling over onto my seat, and his briefcase snack spilling onto my wardrobe, I have decided to simply wear "comfortable" clothes that can take a beating. (How's that for a run-on sentence?)

So, there are times when I believe it's "okay" to lighten up with the wardrobe and still look appropriate while at the same time being comfortable.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nothing special, whatever I happen to be wearing. IOW, usually blue jeans.
Blue jeans, leisure shirt with pocket(s) for boarding tickets and passport, T shirt of corresponding colour and parka. Rubber soled nubuck "walking" shoes. Pullover in my hand luggage. I carry spare shirts and underwear in my board luggage as well as two ties for situation my registered luggage is delayed. I really don't think I can impress anybody by my attire after 10 hours on the way. Always trying to avoid red wine and similar coloured things on the plane or in the bus. You know .....

Two suits, white shirts, formal shoes and the rest of an attire in my registered luggage. In fact I have very seldom no time for changing the clothes after I arrive on the destination.

·
2,973 Posts
decent casual

Jacket, Levi's or other casual sturdy pants, (yes, I know that some here do not consider Levi's to be appropriate for anything other than yard work), nice shirt, and lace-up leather shoes. Sometimes a suit, especially in the winter, if flying to someplace cold.

I have a zipper installed in the right inside pocket of my jackets where I carry wallet and passport. Moreover, as we all agree, you look better wearing a jacket than you would if you weren't wearing one.

Regards,
Gurdon

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think it is reasonable to be offended by the way that some people dress on airplanes; it is really no different than the public at large dresses, the main difference perhaps being that airline passengers are confined to an aluminum tube with one another. So I think that it is a matter of courtesy more than "style" or "fashion" how one dresses while flying. But planes can also be uncomfortable so I am sympathetic to peoples' desire to just be comfortable. I hold people to pretty low standards. No sleveless shirts, no flip flops. Dress so that someone else would not otherwise avoid sitting near you, because in this case, nobody's likely to have a choice in the matter.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If I leave a business meeting or have one upon arrival, then I wear a suit and tie. If it's for pleasure, then a blazer or jacket and khaki's. The jacket pockets are essential for me to hold all sorts of needed stuff.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
In the days when people routinely dressed well on planes, airline travel was more civil. Planes had less seats jammed into them, and more terminals used to have private sections and clubs for first class and business class travelers.

Several of the bigger planes even had bars where you could leave your seat, walk up and order a drink and interact with fellow passengers.

For the most part, these days a plane is a human cattle transport....with more people who are taller and/or fatter than their relatives from the 1950s and 60s - jammed into smaller seats.

I think Bradford has a good compromise with jean, casual shoes, and a sport coat. I always try and dress a bit better than the average traveler, but wearing a suit and tie just seems to be overkill to me.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
If it is a short trip for business then it is likely that I would wear a suit etc appropriate to that meeting.

If however it is leisure then jeans, tee-shirt, fleece and trainers - whatever class I am travelling in - and that includes First Class for long haul. Travelling by air is not some please or high end social occasion these days, just a chore.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Usually the less I wear the better for me and less stuff I have to remove at airline security.
Summer months I wear T-shirt/or polo shirt, belt less shorts and flip flops.

Winter months I have two or three Hush Puppies Airline security friendly shoes to choose from or I wear loafers. And I keep it simple as I can. I don't wear jeans as the metal studs can set off devices and have you stripping at the mercy of the airport security. I wear slacks or wool pants.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Air Travel is not a Cocktail Party

FWIW

I fly at least once per month and rack up between 150 and 200K miles per year due to international. My only requirement for fellow travelers is good hygiene and a quiet voice.

On US flights I wear comfortable trousers, long sleeve cotton mock turtle neck, a sportcoat, and loafers. Coat on when it is cold, off when it is hot.

On international I wear a suit onto the plane so that I can pack one less item. In my carry on I take airplane pjs from a past first class Lufthansa flight. I change into pjs after takeoff, put the suit back on before landing.

When sitting in those wretched seats it is better to be pretty comfortable rather than pretty.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
This is where I use the microfiber navy blazer with the zippered inside pocket. No wrinkles and you can roll it up if you need to. Button down, non-iron shirt and washable permanent press khakis. No tie. God only know what somebody will spill on you and it's a given that your checked bag will take another flight. The only time I might fly in a suit is when I'm going straight to the funeral and I won't have time to change.
I also usually wear my "dress" New Balance 990s under the assumption that sooner or later I'm going to have to run like hell and I might as well be ready.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I'm traveling for leisure, I almost always wear a suit but no tie. First, I find that it's easier to wear a suit onboard than to try and pack it. Second, I find that wearing a suit onboard gets me better service. Since so few people put any thought into what they wear on flights, I guess people think I'm someone important/ powerful (which is so not true) because I actually took 20 minutes and got dressed instead of rolling out of bed. On a flight to Istanbul, I sat next to two Americans from Los Angeles who were shocked to hear that I was also from L.A. because they said I was dressed too nicely (they were in sweats and Ugg boots).

For shoes, with the TSA checks laces are a pain. If I'm going someplace cold I like half-boots, but otherwise loafers are a lot more TSA-friendly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I defer to A Suitable Wardrobe: "Odd jacket, slip-on shoes, shirt and trousers."
https://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2009/01/packing-mans-suitcase.html
I find it surprising that a guy who wears suits with such frequency would then choose not to wear a suit (or even a tie) for an activity that traditionally has required more formal dress. I mean, given that he wears suits to lunch with his friends, or just when he goes for a drive (or so it seems), it's interesting that he wouldn't want to wear them for flying, when some people still do that. With that said, his choices (e.g. slip on shoes) may be more in the name of comfort, because he makes a lot of long haul (West Coast to East Coast, to London, etc.) flights, more than most of us.

I usually wear a blazer, like if I'm flying somewhere on vacation. But if, say, I'm just popping down to New York to visit a friend, then I'll probably just wear what I normally (which to many people, though not the AAAC crowd, probably would still constitute "dressing up")

·
Registered
472 Posts
Travel blazer, patterned shirt (sans tie), wool slacks and either monks or boots. I just don't get why people think jeans are more comfortable than lined Super 120s+ slacks. Perhaps it's a fit issue or something anatomical that I just don't understand.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.