Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
I recently purchased a Brooks 346 "New Slate Blue" blazer. It came with the standard gold 346 buttons on it. Should I keep them on there or switch them out? Things to consider; The slate blue will only be worn in Spring / Summer & I have a navy flannel blazer & the worsted model currently sold by Brooks Bros. -- both with gold buttons.

Apparently, Roger Moore wore his with silver;
https://www.bondsuits.com/air-force-blue-blazer-summer-vendetta-saint/

Pictured are the navy worsted & slate blue models for color reference (sorry for the poor exposure), the slate blue gold buttons with a Mother of Pearl spare button from a chambray sport coat, & the BB '87 catalog listing.

Thanks for any help.

Outerwear Dress shirt Sleeve Grey Collar
Shirt Outerwear Dress shirt Polo shirt Jersey
Coat Dress shirt Sleeve Collar Suit

Font Circle Terrestrial plant Rectangle Number

·
Registered
675 Posts
What a handsome blazer. I think that both options are nice, and like the lighter buttons. Personally, I'd prefer a set that attaches like a blazer button. Perhaps faux scrimshaw? Barlow makes a set, often nautical themed, that is generally available on eBay. Or there's mammoth ivory, which can be delivered uncarved (for less nautical, more lubberly folk like me):

https://ancientivories.com/bivandstsisc.html

Let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a handsome blazer. I think that both options are nice, and like the lighter buttons. Personally, I'd prefer a set that attaches like a blazer button. Perhaps faux scrimshaw? Barlow makes a set, often nautical themed, that is generally available on eBay. Or there's mammoth ivory, which can be delivered uncarved (for less nautical, more lubberly folk like me):

https://ancientivories.com/bivandstsisc.html

Let us know what you decide!
Straw Sandals, thank you for your recommendations. I've never seen buttons like that - they are mini works of art! A little pricey, but I'm in no rush so I will keep my eye on eBay.

I'm a visual person, I was hoping someone would post a picture of a similar example that worked for them. No luck searching the forum & I tried searching google images but all that comes up are Pitti Uomo-style pictures.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I'm a visual person...
I guarantee you're not if you're asking the questions you've been asking in this thread.
...I was hoping someone would post a picture of a similar example that worked for them. No luck searching the forum & I tried searching google images but all that comes up are Pitti Uomo-style pictures.
If you remove the classic gold/silver metal buttons then you will look just like one of those fashion show peacock types and style bloggers desperately hoping to be photographed by Scott The Photographer from NYC. Horn buttons on a blazer never work, period. They're an affectation from the people who think they have to always be different and they're a dodge from the people who are too insecure/self conscious/wimpy to wear normal blazer buttons.[/quote][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guarantee you're not if you're asking the questions you've been asking in this thread.
Asking for pictures of different style buttons on lighter colored blazers doesn't make me a visual person?

IIf you remove the classic gold/silver metal buttons then you will look just like one of those fashion show peacock types and style bloggers desperately hoping to be photographed by Scott The Photographer from NYC. Horn buttons on a blazer never work, period. They're an affectation from the people who think they have to always be different and they're a dodge from the people who are too insecure/self conscious/wimpy to wear normal blazer buttons.
Wear metal buttons or you're a wimp... got it! :rolleyes:

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Not surprisingly, my USAF "Blue Blazer" buttons are of a tarnished silver hue, sporting the image of a spread winged eagle on the buttons face (LOL). Several years back I actually did harvest the requisite buttons off an old uniform blouse and my wife sewed them on a navy blazer. Didn't look all that bad, but perhaps just a smidgen off(?). I'm not sure what became of that blazer, but do know it is no longer in my closet! :angry: ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.