Men's Clothing Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,331 Posts
^ Those look great! How long have you had them?

· Registered
797 Posts
I've always liked the flex welt sole. Does Alden sell it to cobblers or is it just from the original supplier? Either way I'd be interested in getting a resole with flex welt in NYC. Any ideas?

Regarding the faded cordovan. I have a number of older cordovan shoes and none have faded anywhere near those of the pics above. Do you guys leave them in the sun to fade?

· Registered
72 Posts
Regarding the faded cordovan. I have a number of older cordovan shoes and none have faded anywhere near those of the pics above. Do you guys leave them in the sun to fade?
It started as an experiment for me. I was trying to figure out why some older cordovan shoes looked less purple and more brown. My hypothesis was that sunlight was the primary cause of the color change. I left my boots in the sun for a number of weeks before the color change became readily apparent. I remember Nick Horween has confirmed this effect somewhere. I recently begun to leave my Indy boots where it can receive sunlight again to try to get it back to the condition they were in before Alden restoration dyed them back. The color fade seems to have been much more rapid the second time around.

That pair of LHS have got to be my favorite "aged" pair of shoes I've ever seen.

· Registered
549 Posts
I've always liked the flex welt sole. Does Alden sell it to cobblers or is it just from the original supplier? Either way I'd be interested in getting a resole with flex welt in NYC. Any ideas?

Speas,

I took my LHS to my local Alden dealer (the only "real" one in Canada) and they had a supply of flex-welt soles. They forwarded the shoes to an off-site cobbler who then re-soled them and repaired two holes in the lining.

Regarding the colour change, for a time when the shoes were new they were stored in a bay window. Some fading did occur (curiously, neither my monk straps nor my longwings faded in quite the same manner) but use and to some degree, benign neglect has played a role. I wear these shoes alot - in good weather and some not so good weather.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.