Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A second question: in addition to the tweed jacket, I am also looking for a suit, which I would probably shop for in Paris and Berlin later in July. The price range would be around $800-$1500. In the past I've bought all of my more formal clothing at a men's store in the area, but the style there is of the midwestern conservative variety, and for my first suit I'd prefer something slightly more in the Italian style. I want it to be quite durable, though, and fabrics and manufacturing techniques which might be less prestigious but would last longer would be fine with me, as long as the suit overall was less stodgy than the midwestern men's-store counterparts. From a little bit of research, I initially liked the idea of a Zegna suit like this:

I still like this particular fabric, the gray with a subtle houndstooth plaid, but the lapel is a little too high for my taste, and I'm also concerned that the quality and durability of a Zegna suit wouldn't be the best for the money, in particular that I might be able to get a satisfactory made-to-measure suit for the same amount or less. (I gravitated toward Zegna because of the major brands, which is about all I'm familiar with, they seemed along with Canali to have the best combination of this more fashionable "Italian" quality with a high level of conservatism, and from what I had heard Zegna suits have a slimmer cut than Canali.) Could someone tell me, then, whether in this price range and with these specifications it would be best to buy an off-the-rack suit from a brand like Zegna or Canali, or to have a suit made for me (and in either case, what places in Paris and Berlin in particular would be recommended)? And not to fill a whole lot more time with qualifications, but I did want to show an example of the kind of lapel I think I'd be looking for, if it were possible to find one in a three-button suit:

https://www.bluefly.com/pages/products/detail.jsp;jsessionid=C2e0eAOi5cRW3yY3lr46aA4y8gbNtydXWfpeMAQFl6fazAmG5NWp!-1787178140!app8.l3.bluefly.com!7005!8005?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=2007544055&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2266559&N=2266457&Ne=9&Ns=Popularity%7c0%7c%7cProduct%2bCode%7c1&Nu=Product+ID

Thanks very much.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.