Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I think for a business casual setting I'd go for the Hudson first, since it's more casual. Though the Clifton is a blucher, it's still a fairly formal blucher with the punch cap being the only decoration. I think I'd lean towards wearing it with a tie and odd jacket, while I could see wearing a wingtip blucher without a jacket or tie.

Honestly, though, neither would be my first choice for a business casual shoe. I'd gravitate more to nice loafers, monks, and plain-toe bluchers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think for a business casual setting I'd go for the Hudson first, since it's more casual. Though the Clifton is a blucher, it's still a fairly formal blucher with the punch cap being the only decoration. I think I'd lean towards wearing it with a tie and odd jacket, while I could see wearing a wingtip blucher without a jacket or tie.

Honestly, though, neither would be my first choice for a business casual shoe. I'd gravitate more to nice loafers, monks, and plain-toe bluchers.
I'm confused now. Some people say this works well and some don't.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
And for those people who say it does, it does work, and for those who say it does not, it doesn't work.

It is not about having strict pairings, but about matching items on formality scale.

Certain suits are more formal than others, certain shoes are more formal than others. Same goes for other items. One should wear items that are close (and close is a relative term) on formality scale.

When pairing you need to find your own cut-off points (on formality scale).

For some people balmorals without any brogueing is a must with suits. Some people go further, brogues, bluchers. Some people even wear loafers with suits. Some people never wear balmorals with sport jackets, some do.

These are all acceptable choices, which should be paired to your mood, occasion and taste.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I can't speak for others, just my own opinion.

I'm trying to make a distinction between what shoes I would wear with business casual if they were in my closet already, and what shoes I'd purchase if I were trying to buy new shoes to go with business casual. In the former case, I'd wear either the Clifton or Hudson at least occasionally if I had 'em. In the latter case--that is, if I were in your shoes (pun intended)--I'd buy other styles first.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't speak for others, just my own opinion.

I'm trying to make a distinction between what shoes I would wear with business casual if they were in my closet already, and what shoes I'd purchase if I were trying to buy new shoes to go with business casual. In the former case, I'd wear either the Clifton or Hudson at least occasionally if I had 'em. In the latter case--that is, if I were in your shoes (pun intended)--I'd buy other styles first.
Can you give me some suggestions, specific models I mean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.