Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in an effort to pack more lightly for flights when i'm away for a full week, i'm looking for some advice on a more 'versatile' style dress shoe that can be worn w/ suits, but also can dressed down with khakis / blazer.

Typically I wear AE fairhaven (black) w/ suits during the day for meetings....but i also bring a more business casual shoe for dinners, etc, and I always bring running shoes to work out. For some trips it would be nice to consolidate to just one pair in addition to my running shoes.

I'm looking at either the shelton (burgandy/black) or delray (black). two completely different styles, i know, but thought each could fit my needs.

i know the sheltons work fine with more business casual, but can i get away with those with suits? (mainly wear charcoal or navy)

i liked the delray from pictures, but when i tried them on the fit just seemed more 'pointy' and narrow compared to what i'm used to. Would the black delray work with charcoal suits?

FWIW, i'm in sales and mostly call on bankers.

suggestions or other options?

Thanks!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I empathize: I'm also in sales and try to avoid checking bags while traveling. A carry-on sized roller usually only has room for my running shoes and one other pair. So, whatever I'm wearing with my suits has to be able to pull double duty with khakis, cords, or even jeans.

I'm currently doing this with the Delray in chili and Wendell in brown. I picked up a pair of used Cerretos (brown, from the 'Seven' line) for $26 on eBay and will be working those into the rotation assuming they fit right.

On the subject of fit, an AE salesman once told me that the 2, 5, 7, and 8 lasts are all similar. The Delray is built on the 8 last so you may want to choose a last other than the aforementioned if the #8 is too pointy for you. To find styles by last, use the drop down menu on the right side of their website. These links may also be useful:

Finally, FWIW, my rule of thumb for 'double duty' shoes is to use a 'dressy blucher' or 'casual' balmoral (e.g. suede brogues). Good luck and let us know what you come up with!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.