Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
The AE website has a list of specials, and there are logos showing some as Holiday Special and some as Holiday Closeout Special, all apparently 20% off. The Park Avenue has "Holiday Closeout Special" beside it. However, when one clicks on the link for Park Avenue, it shows that only the brown is discounted, and not the black or merlot. Perhaps this means that the Park Avenue is being discontinued in the brown color (but will remain available in black and merlot)?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If this is true and they are discontinuing their signature shoe, the company must have a death wish. Say it ain't so. I had a pair of black Park Avenues for many years which served me quite well but when they finally died, I switched to Aldens which provided me with an even better and more comfortable fit. Notwithstanding my switch to Aldens, I have always been fond of the PAs. Alas.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AE forwarded the notification that lists the discontinued styles. However, it does only list the brown as being discontinued. So apparently I am mistaken in implying that the entire PA style in all colors is being discontinued.

The discontinued dress shoes are as follows:

Hampstead - black, chili
Hinsdale - black, brown
Park Avenue - brown
Perry - black, brown
Westwood - black, hickory, dark brown
Berkeley - black, cognac, saddle brown
Bradley - burgandy cordovan
Jackson - black, tan, dark brown
Belmont - black, tan, brown
Warren - black, brown
Manhattan - black, cognac, saddle brown
Belwood - black, merlot

There are also loafer that are being discontinued:

Claremont - black, saddle brown
Leyland - black, chili
Alton - black, hickory, saddle brown
Burke - tan, brown
Capri - black, caramel
Messina - black, brown
Hampton - black, mocha
Holton - black, brown
Hamlin - mocha, brick red
Hayward - dark brown, light brown
Tigard - dark brown, light brown

·
Registered
100 Posts
AE forwarded the notification that lists the discontinued styles. However, it does only list the brown as being discontinued. So apparently I am mistaken in implying that the entire PA style in all colors is being discontinued.

The discontinued dress shoes are as follows:

Hampstead - black, chili
Hinsdale - black, brown
Park Avenue - brown
Perry - black, brown
Westwood - black, hickory, dark brown
Berkeley - black, cognac, saddle brown
Bradley - burgandy cordovan
Jackson - black, tan, dark brown
Belmont - black, tan, brown
Warren - black, brown
Manhattan - black, cognac, saddle brown
Belwood - black, merlot

There are also loafer that are being discontinued:

Claremont - black, saddle brown
Leyland - black, chili
Alton - black, hickory, saddle brown
Burke - tan, brown
Capri - black, caramel
Messina - black, brown
Hampton - black, mocha
Holton - black, brown
Hamlin - mocha, brick red
Hayward - dark brown, light brown
Tigard - dark brown, light brown
wow! thats quite the list of discontinuations!! sadly, AE is probably having the same problems as all the other American manufacturing giants these days.. I sincerely hope they are able to weather this storm without having to dramatically change their operations.. they are one of my favorite brands

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
Oh, there's nothing particularly new or alarming in this. They always discontinue a couple-dozen styles each season. I started buying A-Es about 5 1/2 years ago. If memory serves, I have 38 different style/color options among my A-E shoes. Of these, exactly four: PA in in black and merlot, Ashton in chili and Wilbert in brown are in the current catalog. Doesn't this tell you something.

If they ever do discontinue the PA, you can be sure they'll bring out something very similar, just on a different last.

Hmmm...might see about picking up a pair of Bradleys in shell.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't understand AE's reasoning for so many changes in their product line. It seems to me that they are serving a fairly conservative group (non-trendy) so there wouldn't be much need to constantly change what they are offering. I'm sure all of these model changes/design changes cost them a lot of money, but I just don't see what their "return on investment" would be.

I think they would be smarter to come out with a core line of shoes, which is easily determined by their best sellers. Leave these the heck alone - basically just keep making the same thing. Have a second, smaller group of items to try out new ideas and to keep on top of any trends. Change these out to eliminate the weakest sellers.

I think this constant change is probably hurting their business and profitability. Think about all the time required to develope new styles, move out the discontinued merchandise (usually at a lower price = less profit), restock all of the new styles, colors, and in many different sizes, update the catalog and website, etc. All of this from a company who doesn't make trendy products anyway.

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
Well, they're only one of two American manufacturers of quality shoes to have survived, and they sell a lot more shoes than Alden, so they must be doing something right. As I said earlier, they have been doing this sort of thing for quite a while.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I heard the world was ending in 2012. Why is AE upping the schedule??

Their PA is awesome, and I agree they do strange tactics. The whole cuts they discontinued in the past year were brilliant shoes. Hopefully it is only the brown PA, and not the black.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I heard the world was ending in 2012. Why is AE upping the schedule??

Their PA is awesome, and I agree they do strange tactics. The whole cuts they discontinued in the past year were brilliant shoes. Hopefully it is only the brown PA, and not the black.
I liked them, myself. I would really like to find a pair of AE Fairfax in anything but black.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.