Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After careful review of so many excellent posts, I have decided on a pair of AE Park Avenues. Would it be acceptable to start with a pair in the color Merlot? Would this work well with both my charcoal and dark navy suits? If so, would I pair this w/ a similar color belt?? But will a merlot/burgundy/cordovan color belt go with Charcoal??

Thanks,
H

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Get them quick--I understand that they are on the endangered list. I've managed to pick up PAs in black, brown and merlot and the merlot looks better with almost anything to my untrained and admittedly jaundiced eye than the others. I have a belt that is sort of merlot and that is close enough.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I thought only the BROWN PAs are endangered.

The Merlot should look very nice with them suits, though I am assuming colors in my mind. Try to get that belt as close as possible to the shoes.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I think I'm in the minority on this among AAAC posters, but I would advise sticking with black shoes for wear with true (deep) navy suits. Suits in lighter shades of dark blue (steel blue and airforce blue are terms I've heard) are a different story.

The merlot PAs should go admirably with charcoal suits.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I thought only the BROWN PAs are endangered.

The Merlot should look very nice with them suits, though I am assuming colors in my mind. Try to get that belt as close as possible to the shoes.
You are right, Preu Pummel. Only the brown (which Allen Edmonds markets as brown Antibes calf, FWIW) Park Avenues, due to their massive lack of popularity, are being discontinued.

The black (which Allen Edmonds markets as black custom calf) Park Avenues, due to it's enormous popularity and merlot (which Allen Edmonds markets as merlot burnished calf) Park Avenues, due to it's huge popularity, are both here to stay.

The dark brown (which Allen Edmonds markets as dark brown calf) Park Avenues will most likely, but not definitely, replace the brown Antibes calf. The brown Antibes calf for the Park Avenue could go without replacement for all I and everybody else knows.

The clothing forum members who are saying that Allen Edmonds is discontinuing the Park Avenue all together are dead wrong. The Park Avenue pays most of the bills at Allen Edmonds. Without the Park Avenues, Allen Edmonds is as good as out of business.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Merlot

Get them. They have extraordinary versatility: navy, charcoal, olive suits and a slew of different colors of odd jackets. No good for funerals, black tie, or creative-inaugural white tie, but this isn't much of a limitation. Others will differ; I regard the burgundy captoe as the anchor of a small-to-moderate shoe wardrobe.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I'm pretty sure only the brown has been discontinued.

And yes merlot can be worn with navy and charcoal. Wear a merlot or similar color belt.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Again, to confirm, only the brown Antibes calf has been discontinued, and may or may not be replaced by the dark brown calf.

The merlot will work perfectly with navy and charcoal suits. It is both "correct" - to satisfy the zealots - and stylish.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone.

Is there a *most frequented* online retailer that the group prefers for AE?? I usually use Zappos b/c I am on the large side of 13D---so I can order a D and E with no penalty for returns (free shipping). But I see they don't carry the Merlot color. Is there an AE outlet??

H

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks everyone.

Is there a *most frequented* online retailer that the group prefers for AE?? I usually use Zappos b/c I am on the large side of 13D---so I can order a D and E with no penalty for returns (free shipping). But I see they don't carry the Merlot color. Is there an AE outlet??

H
There are several AE outlets. If you would like to deal with two people who have years of experience selling AE over the phone and who know the shoes inside and out, you should call the outlet in Jeffersonville, OH. Ask for Helen or Penny.

740-948-9033

My name is Jack Baruth; tell them you know me. It won't save you any money, but it will identify you as someone who is an ardent fan of style and shoes, rather than a fellow who has an interview the following Monday and needs black "loafers" to wear with his black suit.

Helen, in particular, maintains a near-encyclopedic knowledge of the various one-off exotics which float through the AE system.

It's been my pleasure to purchase about seventy pairs of shoes from these two ladies and I have yet to be disappointed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are several AE outlets. If you would like to deal with two people who have years of experience selling AE over the phone and who know the shoes inside and out, you should call the outlet in Jeffersonville, OH. Ask for Helen or Penny.
Jack,
I spoke with Penny. She was so nice, and it was obvious she likes you very much!! They did not have the shoe I was looking for, but she put me on a "wish list" and also will look and see if there are others that might be good for me.
Thank you,
H

·
Registered
290 Posts
Up to 70 pairs now, eh, Jack? Certainly way ahead of me. I still recall with pleasure that dinner we had together when you and Mrs. Baruth visited SoCal in the late summer of 2005.
I tell the story all the time, substituting "Rhodesia" for "Orange County" and "fourteen months serving with Bob Denard" for "dinner" :)

Just an FYI... I finally broke down and bought the Comfort Casuals (Traveler et al). Great, great, GREAT winter shoes. What are you wearing lately?

·
Registered
222 Posts
After careful review of so many excellent posts, I have decided on a pair of AE Park Avenues. Would it be acceptable to start with a pair in the color Merlot? Would this work well with both my charcoal and dark navy suits? If so, would I pair this w/ a similar color belt?? But will a merlot/burgundy/cordovan color belt go with Charcoal??

Thanks,
H
AE makes a matching belt. The one I purchased matches the merlot shoes perfectly.

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
I tell the story all the time, substituting "Rhodesia" for "Orange County" and "fourteen months serving with Bob Denard" for "dinner" :)
That's certainly an example of a story growing in the telling! I hardly think I am anywhere near as colorful, adverturous or virile a figure as the late Col. Bob Denard!

Just an FYI... I finally broke down and bought the Comfort Casuals (Traveler et al). Great, great, GREAT winter shoes. What are you wearing lately?
I have bought but a single pair of A-Es in the past 17 months--a second pair of the Wilberts in brown. I felt it would make a nice addition to my array of casual shoes in light of my upcoming retirement in a few months. Allen-Edmonds pretty much put paid to my further acquisitions because of their new lasts. There are a plenty of styles I like, but both the #2 and the new #8 lasts are a lousy fit on my feet. The new #0 last is marginal in fit as well. Thus I have not purchased any A-E style introduced after the Fall 2004 collection. In any event, I still regard myself as very well furnished with shoes, even if I have far fewer A-Es than you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.