Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a Byron in black that fits and has been worn, would you feel there was any reason to have a Park Avenue in Black (this fits as well)?

I don't see much difference other than the perferations around the cap toe. I know some say that makes it a bit less formal, but if it is not going to be used for black tie but for a gray or navy suit from time to time I would think the Bryon would serve just as well and I am curious what the shoe experts think.

Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
A shoe expert I am not, but I have both (Byron in chili, PA in black), and don't see why you'd want both in the same color.

FWIW, the Byron & PA (both in 13D) fit my feet very differently, with the Byron feeling a bit roomier than I'd prefer (may add an insole), and the PA running rather narrow (the eyelets won't close up).

·
Registered
970 Posts
The Byrons fit a bit differently than the Park Aves and have a rounder, less elongated toe shape. I have the Byron in chili and the PA in brown and don't regret buying both. Personally the Byron is probably the most comfortable dress shoe I own. YMMV.

640 Posts
No reason to have both unless one simply wants both for, say, frequent rotation or you got a hard to resist deal.
^^ +1. And it's the hard to resist deals that got me a combined total of seven PA's and Byron. :icon_pale:

A shoe expert I am not, but I have both (Byron in chili, PA in black), and don't see why you'd want both in the same color.

FWIW, the Byron & PA (both in 13D) fit my feet very differently, with the Byron feeling a bit roomier than I'd prefer (may add an insole), and the PA running rather narrow (the eyelets won't close up).
I think the difference in fit is becuse the #4 last on the Byron and the narrower #5 last on the PA. My foot is wide with a high instepo. Becuase of that, I'm partial to my Byrons for both fit, as well as aesthetics.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the wider toe of the number 4 last, but it seems the 5 will be ok. I think I will keep the brown PA coming and send the black back as I have a black Byron and it is very comfortable and I don't see the perforations as any less dressy.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Generally I would advise not to get black PAs if one has black Byrons.

But, in an extensive shoe collection, both have a place.

My PAs are now relegated to interview duty only.
I am not a frequent "black shoe wearer", but if I were, black Byron would get some "foot time". In my case, Byrons are brown.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got both - PA in black and several Byrons in varying browns, simply because the PA doesn't fit me properly and the Byron fits me much, much better (alas the perils of buying online). Personally I wouldn't buy the PA again - it just doesn't fit me very well.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
If you have a Byron in black that fits and has been worn, would you feel there was any reason to have a Park Avenue in Black (this fits as well)?

I don't see much difference other than the perferations around the cap toe. I know some say that makes it a bit less formal, but if it is not going to be used for black tie but for a gray or navy suit from time to time I would think the Bryon would serve just as well and I am curious what the shoe experts think.

Thanks
If you have a requirement for a traditional business wardrobe (suit daily) or simply want to, your shoe collection would include a black balmoral plain captoe (like the PA) and a black balmoral punch-cap (like the Byron) -- among other styles...

Any neither are correct for black tie. For that you need patent opera pumps (the grooviest, most bitchin' choice) or patent plain toe bal oxfords (like the Byron) if those cute little bows give you the creeps...

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I've got both - PA in black and several Byrons in varying browns, simply because the PA doesn't fit me properly and the Byron fits me much, much better (alas the perils of buying online). Personally I wouldn't buy the PA again - it just doesn't fit me very well.
I was real lucky with the PA. My size is about 12 5/8 so I usually end up in a roomy 13 but in the PA's a 12 fit OK...

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you have a requirement for a traditional business wardrobe (suit daily) or simply want to, your shoe collection would include a black balmoral plain captoe (like the PA) and a black balmoral punch-cap (like the Byron) -- among other styles...

Any neither are correct for black tie. For that you need patent opera pumps (the grooviest, most bitchin' choice) or patent plain toe bal oxfords (like the Byron) if those cute little bows give you the creeps...
Since I only wear a suit when I feel like it and have little in the way of formal events coming up I won't need the pumps and I can probably stay with one pair of black balmorals. The Byron will win this round as it is already worn.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Since I only wear a suit when I feel like it and have little in the way of formal events coming up I won't need the pumps and I can probably stay with one pair of black balmorals. The Byron will win this round as it is already worn.

Thanks
You are welcome. Glad to have been of assistance.

·
Registered
998 Posts

Thanks
As an expert I will give you my expertise based on much research.
To answer your first question.
Yes.
Yes I feel there's a reason to have the Byron and Park Ave in black.
I want them. I have them.
I like both models.

The question should be, do I need them.
No.
But that can only be answered by the individual.

Anybody can tell you what you need and some may tell you what you should want. That's funny to me.
But as an expert in giving my opinion I'll give you my expert advice.

If you like them both and it won't affect your bottom line, get 'em.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So both of the PA's came, the black are a tad too wide, the browns perfect (go figure).....

Now I have a question about the Merlot. Is this a useful color in a Balmoral? The one I saw looked like a dull finish, but I figure that will change with a polishing. Wondering what the thoughts are on this color PA?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I have the merlot PA and use it for my lighter grey suits. It is a nice shoe, but to be honest, I would prefer a medium-brown PA (which I am not going to buy any time soon because the merlot ones are quite satisfactory) for my lighter grey suits. I'm sure some people would wear the merlot with a navy suit, but I've yet to try that myself because I prefer black shoes with navy suits.

And to address your concern, I find the finish of the merlot to be quite nice. They receive more compliments than any of my other dress shoes do.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Generally I would advise not to get black PAs if one has black Byrons.

But, in an extensive shoe collection, both have a place.

My PAs are now relegated to interview duty only.
I am not a frequent "black shoe wearer", but if I were, black Byron would get some "foot time". In my case, Byrons are brown.
I rarely wear black shoes and honestly feel very boring when I do, unless my pants are gray or black (any shade).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.