Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a used pair of Allen Edmonds Broadstreets on eBay, size 8.5 D. My other AEs are 8.5 E and consist of models on the 5 last (Park Avenue) and 8 last (Delray, Wendell). I figured the Broadstreets would be okay in a D width based on comments posted here and the description of the Broadway (3) last on AE's website:

"Fullest in girth measurement, may need to go down a width for shoes on this last."

When the shoes arrived, they were a very tight fit and more so in length than width. A quick measurement revealed them to be over 1/4" shorter than my other 8.5 AEs. Has anyone else had a similar experience or might these have been mislabelled? I'm trying to figure out if I should look for a similar pair in a 9 or 9.5 or pass on the 3 last and wait for AE to introduce a new spectator on a different last.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I have the broadstreets and they seem to fit just fine. I also have the Park Aves, the Winhalls, the Brentwoods, and the Hillcrests.

Of all of those the Park Aves fit the best, but the Broadstreets fit pretty nicely too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That's tough news on your find. I've got 3 pair of Broadstreets (1 B&W pair, a second B&W "emergency" pair since AE discontinued them, and a brown-and-white pair). Fit wise, these are possibly my best fitting AE shoes for me. For comparison, I also have the Leeds (1 last), Ashtons (8), MacNeil (7), Copley (8), and McClain (8) and have bought the same size in each. Not that the other fits are poor, because they absolutely are not, but the Broadstreets just seem to fit a little better. Maybe it's because I have an extra spring in my step when I wear them!

The ones that are on the other end of the scale, for me, are the McClains. They seem to be too long for my liking. I tried a slip-on this weekend on an 8 last (I don't remember the name), and it looked awful. I attributed it to the fact that it was on an 8 last and made it look pointy.

FYI - AE does offer another spectator. The McClain is available in black- and-white (apparently the replacement for the Broadstreet), and there may be a few bourbon-and-bone pair lurking out there as well. If you need a shoe that is a little longer, maybe that is your best bet.

Hope this helps,

AF

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - very helpful! AF, it sounds like we're on opposite ends of the fit spectrum. The 8 last is ideal for me so it figures that the 3 would be a little off.

Frustratingly, there's a pair of NIB brown/white Broadstreets on eBay in 9.5 and the external sole measurements provided by the seller make me think it just might work. I'm going to have to pass as "might" won't be good enough in this case. I promised by girlfriend we'd take swing dancing lessons when I found a pair of suitable spectators. Moving with grace on the dance floor is hard enough for me - I don't need my shoes making it any worse.

The spectator quest continues ... :crazy:

P.S. I've seen the McClains but don't like the 'extra' stripe. Picky, I know but anything less than 100% confidence will ruin the look.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One mystery solved, another created

My apologies for resuscitating a stale thread, but I wanted to set the record straight in case anyone comes across this in the future.

I was in my favorite local consignment store today and found a pair of AE Broadstreets in size 9D that fit me well. This was in line with my original expectations based on the last descriptions, postings on this forum, etc.

Now a 1/2 size shouldn't make that much of a difference in fit, so how to explain the pair I posted about at the beginning of this thread? Although they are labelled Broadstreet (8.5 D), close examination reveals 3 unique aspects of my 'original' pair:

- A square vs. tapered toe.
- Different materials: the white leather has a pebble grain texture and the brown leather is of a lighter shade.
- According to the code inside the shoe, they were constructed on the 1 last.

Some photos to illustrate the differences ('new' pair on the left, 'originals' on the right):

Does anyone have ideas on the provenance of my 'original' pair? They could simply be an older version, but I though AE changed a style's name when moving it to another last. I've read about the Olympic spectators AE produced in '92 and wonder if this was a prototype. I believe those ended up being produced on the 7 last (rather than the 'normal' Broadstreet's 3). Perhaps they started on the 1 w/pebble grain before moving to the 7 w/nubuck?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.