Men's Clothing Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Navy Oxxford suit made of super 120's in my opinion would be perfect for the court room or the office. I have one and it's a great fitting and exudes class and refined taste. (i know i sound like advertisement, but its just my opinion.)

· Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Navy Oxxford suit made of super 120's in my opinion would be perfect for the court room or the office. I have one and it's a great fitting and exudes class and refined taste. (i know i sound like advertisement, but its just my opinion.)
I went through some of the old threads, and a fair number of people reported bad experiences with Oxxford . . .

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Great stuff so far! I would add that you have a Paul Stuart store in Chicago, and many of their suits are Samuelsohn. They have done well for me, as the generous cut accommodates both athletic legs and spreading middle. I have always enjoyed Paul Stuart's selection of shirts and ties. PS is a great resource, even if for nothing other than comparison shopping. Do be careful of the high thread counts on suits, in terms of wear and tear. Good luck! Bill

· Registered
57 Posts
I went through some of the old threads, and a fair number of people reported bad experiences with Oxxford . . .
I believe it, i've had an Oxxford suit and two Oxxford sportcoats for nearly 3 years and i wear them more than any of my other clothes, and they are still in like new shape after constant wear, never had a problem. It's all personal taste, though.

· Registered
913 Posts
On a board like this you aren't going to find ANYONE that everyone is in 100% agreement over...I think 99% of the time that people are unhappy is because the garment doesn't fit right...the person measuring and fitting/tailoring is the one responsible for this...Oxxford makes a GREAT garment - the key is to purchase it from someone who knows what they are doing...one other point - I have no idea what you look like or are shaped like, but often when people complain a garment doesn't look good, they have unrealistic expectations...it is a suit/jacket, etc - plastic surgery, liposuction, etc is not included...and some people are just an INCREDIBLY difficult fit and you can only do so much...

· Registered
144 Posts
I've been on this board for about a year, and the consensus view is that Oxxford is the best suit made in America. Plus, aren't you in Oxxford factory territory?

I would find the best handmade suit that fits you right in the $2000 class. I wouldn't buy anything machine stitched for that money. I would buy two share Brooks MTM unless I was jumping into the Oxxford range.

I have a fully canvassed Hickey Freeman Collection and a Brooks Half-canvassed, and the difference isn't that great. Handmade appears to me where the money jump is justified, especially a $1000 jump.

Of course, I am an OTR guy who has a tailor that makes most things OTR fit pretty well. Those with MTM experience may have more valuable opinions.

· Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
On a board like this you aren't going to find ANYONE that everyone is in 100% agreement over...I think 99% of the time that people are unhappy is because the garment doesn't fit right...the person measuring and fitting/tailoring is the one responsible for this...Oxxford makes a GREAT garment - the key is to purchase it from someone who knows what they are doing...one other point - I have no idea what you look like or are shaped like, but often when people complain a garment doesn't look good, they have unrealistic expectations...it is a suit/jacket, etc - plastic surgery, liposuction, etc is not included...and some people are just an INCREDIBLY difficult fit and you can only do so much...
Hmm, I will definitely check out Oxxford. However, other threads indicated that the price is more like 3-4k for a suit.

By the way, I do appreciate everyone's comments.

· Registered
144 Posts
Hickey has a Chicago store, correct? I would make that the next step up if you can get one or two in the $1500-$2000 range MTM. That is, if Oxxford MTM can't be had for $2000ish.

I get more compliments on my Hickey Freeman Collection than my 1818, and the Hickey is fully canvassed.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.