Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
970 Posts
One thing I've seen on the forum that is very interesting is the notion that some "high end" fabrics, i.e. "super" type fabrics aren't necessarily the best fabrics in terms of overall value and long term durability. Search the forum for threads on custom and bespoke suits and suiting fabrics and you'll see some of the commentary I'm talking about.

For suits in general, I would definitely make sure you're getting a fully canvassed garment if you're dropping that kind of money on suit, regardless of the fabric used.

Personally, I would avoid double breasted suits. They are kind of flashy and dandified (for lack of better terminology) and tend to be associated with status and such. If you are wearing suits in a business casual environment, you are already going to stand out somewhat. I'd imagine wearing a double breasted suit would cause you to stand out more than you would care to and perhaps in the wrong way.

If you plan to wear sportcoats and blazers, you might consider a nice MTM navy blazer in a durable (non super) 3/4 season fabric or perhaps a nice gray sportcoat that can be worn during the cooler / colder months. You could also put some money toward 3-4 pairs of classic dress shoes.

· Registered
970 Posts
If you're wearing dress shoes every day, I'd suggest getting at least one or two more pairs. 3 pairs are going to wear out very fast if you are wearing just those three pairs. Having one or two more pairs to rotate will increase the life of each pair.

If you like BB "luxury" or "golden fleece" ties they are all over ebay from reputable sellers. I sure hope you're not paying full price for them.

Bottom line is that if BB's local store can't do Golden Fleece MTM, which is the only way BB can do full canvas, you are NOT getting a good value for your $2K, regardless of fabric. I'd look into MTM programs through makers like Hickey Freeman and Samuelsohn (which pretty much only do full canvas MTM), and find out more about local custom tailors.

Thanks for the info people.

I have the shirts, shoes, and ties covered. I have a fair number of the BB Luxury shirts in various solids and stripes. I have the merlot AE Park Aves., the brown AE Weybridges, and a brown pair of JM loafers. And I have a sufficient number of BB ties, though I'm trying to change over from their normal ties to their Golden Fleece ties, which I like a lot more.

My issue is just figuring out what suit I should save up for--figuring I'd spend around 2,000. As I mentioned, I like the BB MTM suits I purchased. But, I don't know if BB still provides good value for the money at 2k. Especially since the Chicago BB stores don't appear to offer the Golden Fleece MTM program (according to my sales guy and the BB tailor).

My question is am I likely to get better value for my money at good custom shop here in Chicago as compared to BB?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.