Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a pair of braces (a.k.a. suspenders) from Thurston and, as expected, they have a very nice feel, sit very comfortably, and overall look great. And I have this forum to thank for the excellent suggestion. :icon_smile:

Here's the problem: unlike the earlier pair I had ordered, they have the covered ends whereby the braces simply end at the brace ends, rather than wrap around (you can see what I mean by looking at a close-up of one of the boxcloth braces from their web site: https://www.albertthurston.com/categoryfast2.cfm?catid=4). I need to shorten them up a bit, but I don't want the ends hanging down too far. Is this an expected problem and is there a solution for it?

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
PM to Bracemaker

·
Registered
907 Posts
I must admit that I sometimes run around the house looking for something (my keys, cigar cutter, even a scarf) only to find that I was holding it in my hand the whole time...:icon_smile_big:

What GBR already said. I have a few of those Trafalgar-wannabes as well and those metal bits usually lead you to a solution.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Forgive me but these all appear to have the metal 'clip' which enables adjustment.
+1

But if you, and I assume this from your (OP's) post, you know how to adjust them, the ends dangling down are a part of the effect. As long as they don't dangle too low (meaning they begin to creep out of the waistcoat/jacket hem) then there is no reason to trim them back.

This is good reading: https://www.bownsbespoke.com/albertthurston.htm

·
Banned
298 Posts
Trimming Thurston Boxcloth Braces

Hello All
This one is an old chestnut
Everyone has there own opinion and preference
But, for what its worth
TRIMMING.. DONT!!
if you happen to want to wear the braces with a different pair of trousers with a differnt (lower) waist and they have been trimmed they now may not fit..
Secondly thee boxcloth has edging stitching and this may start to fray if trimmed.
if possible just tuck them into your waistband

I of course always leave them hanging loose.. and get stick for it from other AAAC members.. ho hum

RBH

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1

But if you, and I assume this from your (OP's) post, you know how to adjust them, the ends dangling down are a part of the effect. As long as they don't dangle too low (meaning they begin to creep out of the waistcoat/jacket hem) then there is no reason to trim them back.

This is good reading: https://www.bownsbespoke.com/albertthurston.htm
Ah, just the information I was looking for. I shall let the ends dangle as intended; although they aren't long, just a couple of inches, not even enough to need to be tucked in. It's an unusual look, but I warming up to it, and shall stay far away from the scissors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.