Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone posted a Safari Jacket from them last year that I picked up for $60 CAD.

Was a linen/cotton blend, and felt sturdy and has been holding up great.

I decided to visit their website again today, and they shockingly have a lot of classic items for more than reasonable prices.

A large collection of shirt jackets, field jackets, parkas, their interpetation of a Harrington jacket etc.

Also carry short-sleeve popovers.

They basically seem to have undercut J. Crew's niche.

https://www.abercrombie.ca/shop/ca/mens-outerwear-and-jackets-clearance

The only gripe I have with them is weird-sizing, and possibly running small. Based on their measurements, I ordered a size small for myself with the safari jacket. I'm quite thin, but I did feel some snugness in the upper back.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have to agree with your gripe of weird sizing and running small. I've found that I have to up a size and even then its still cut for a slender person. And I'm not overweight by any means.

Too bad as I always liked the fabric they used in many of their short and long sleeve polos. Very soft and substantial feeling.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I think they’ve realized that there aren’t really enough skinny-dipping trust fund babies to justify making them their target market.

The big store here in Atlanta has even shut down their cologne ventilation system.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
I was a fan of the store up until the early '90s when it was still, at least, a faint echo of its Trad clothing roots. Then it went all youth-vibe crazy and I left - especially as the prices for those clothes became silly expensive.

So, until your post, I hadn't even looked at an A&E store or website in - what - almost two decades. While it still seems, overall, teen or just-older-than-teen oriented, I did notice a few classic items at seemingly very modest prices which surprised me as, as noted, A&F had gotten pricey.

While they have some overlap with J.Crew - and cheaper prices (all from my ten minutes or so online, so no idea about quality) - J.Crew does a full-on, updated-youth take on a classic America look (with a pretty full selection and - especially for today - a lot of size options); A&F looks like it has some items in that world, but not anything approaching a full selection or even consistent brand identity in that space.

All that said, hopefully, that is the direction the company is moving in.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I love their their heathered fabric OCBDs. Also a fan of their cardigans, as well as their herringbone fabric shirts.

I've got to give a shout out to Uniqlo though for their OCBDs and linen shirts. You can regularly get either on sale for $15/ea. The OCBDs are on par with a LE Hyde Park. The linens are a nice soft linen, nothing scratchy like my Spier and Mackay linen shirt.

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love their their heathered fabric OCBDs. Also a fan of their cardigans, as well as their herringbone fabric shirts.

I've got to give a shout out to Uniqlo though for their OCBDs and linen shirts. You can regularly get either on sale for $15/ea. The OCBDs are on par with a LE Hyde Park. The linens are a nice soft linen, nothing scratchy like my Spier and Mackay linen shirt.
Has the S&M softened up after washes, or has it stayed scratchy?

I was thinking of buying a pure linen shirt from them.

I recently bought a linen/cotton popover from them, and it started off quite scratchy and so far has gotten better with each wash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.