Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I am so old that I remember when we wore logos and brand names on the inside of our garments. Opps, the polo shirts with the alligators or crocodiles, which ever they were, were around in the 1940's but that is the only exception I can think of.

I also remember when young ladies wore swim suits that covered more than their underwear did. I am so far off topic with that, I think this would be a good place to stop.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am so old that I remember when we wore logos and brand names on the inside of our garments. Opps, the polo shirts with the alligators or crocodiles, which ever they were, were around in the 1940's but that is the only exception I can think of.

I also remember when young ladies wore swim suits that covered more than their underwear did. I am so far off topic with that, I think this would be a good place to stop.

Cheers, Jim.
Thank God the 40's are long gone! :icon_smile_big:

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
$995.00 from CustomShirt1 dot com:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Whole Foods Discount

One could amortize the cost by using it to shop at Whole Foods, which gives a five cent discount when you use your own bag. Of course, that would take about 3,000 trips:icon_smile:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Inexpensive goods from luxury retailers are sometimes called "aspirational purchases."

A $400 pair of Cartier cufflinks, or the Mercedes C-Class would be good examples.

A cloth shopping bag is not.
You know, at first I disagreed with this however now I agree, though I don't know anyone who aspires to own name brand cufflinks or Mercedes given their poor performance/quality when compared to others...but that is a totaly seperate discussion.

I think we agree at least with those other examples cited you get some level of quality, wheras a cheap cloth bag is just that...

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
The other day I picked up three of those on clearance at TJMaxx for 2 bucks each.

-spence
Are you sure they weren't knock-offs? Ours are made from gen-u-ine Egyptian-grown long-staple Kraft paper.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
OH COME OFF IT

Personally i wouldnt buy the bag, but i think what the guys at Norton and sons are doing is to be applauded. They are reaching out to a younger audience with interesting designer tie ups whilst never sacrificing a fraction of an inch on the the pure bespoke product. Long term, those younger men will need a suit. Thats thinking far more strategically than the old guard of the row have done; we may prattle on about changes in the Row and new faces and practises; even now there are plenty of embarrassing skeletons from the 80s and 90s in the franchise closet that some of the bigger grander names would rather have us forget.
Right now any brand that is attempting to rebuild its business in bespoke - and very good bespoke too - by thinking laterally and, in the process, educating potential new customers should at least be given the benefit of the doubt. Id rather have a trotters bag than sunglasses, or Norton the fragrance. At least a trotter's bag pertains to the identity of Norton and Sons and teaches you something about Savile Row.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Personally i wouldnt buy the bag, but i think what the guys at Norton and sons are doing is to be applauded. They are reaching out to a younger audience with interesting designer tie ups whilst never sacrificing a fraction of an inch on the the pure bespoke product. Long term, those younger men will need a suit. Thats thinking far more strategically than the old guard of the row have done; we may prattle on about changes in the Row and new faces and practises; even now there are plenty of embarrassing skeletons from the 80s and 90s in the franchise closet that some of the bigger grander names would rather have us forget.
Right now any brand that is attempting to rebuild its business in bespoke - and very good bespoke too - by thinking laterally and, in the process, educating potential new customers should at least be given the benefit of the doubt. Id rather have a trotters bag than sunglasses, or Norton the fragrance. At least a trotter's bag pertains to the identity of Norton and Sons and teaches you something about Savile Row.
Point taken. I suppose it would be ripe for London tailors to start developing their respective duty-free collection just like the haute couture maisons? Conspicuous logos on products priced well within the impulse purchase domain. Given the current trading environment, it may actually be necessary for survival. I'm going to queue up for an Anderson & Sheppard T-shirt. Hackett and Burberry have had their turn in kitting out the firms and chavs, so time for a new era?:icon_smile_big:

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
At least a trotter's bag pertains to the identity of Norton and Sons and teaches you something about Savile Row.
Yes, but I think Patrick Grant is also very intent on changing the image of Savile Row. Norton & Son has certainly taken an intriguing approach since this new ownership took over. Patrick Grant is a somewhat different breed than the Grangers. An Oxford MBA, he became interested in the firm while researching the luxury goods market for his executive MBA project. While he was obviously impressed with Norton's history and craftsmanship, he also recognized that it "hadn't been making the best of its brand." He has managed to maintain the firm's pedigree, added the skill of head cutter John Kent, and yet has branched out to include bespoke jewelry, shirts, and even luggage (albeit made in Italy). This isn't your grandfather's Norton & Sons. But it certainly has a place among Savile Row's leaders. My guess is that this is the face of the future. Where has the stodgy Anderson & Sheppard gone...not just around the corner but onto the Internet...with a new approach that responds to customers' styles and tastes rather than the old-fashioned A&S-only way. Kilgour, Huntsman, Gieves & Hawkes have all taken on a new look and a new life. Bespoke is a smaller part of their offerings as they extend to made-to-measure and products beyond suits and military and ceremonial wear. Of course, the future remains uncertain. But the question remains: "Are these names being cheapened...or kept alive...and indeed rejuvenated?" When I look at the changes, I have to say a trotter's bag is a very small part of the equation.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.