Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
14,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the recent events in the news with Facebook, is anyone really surprised?

Facebook exists to make money. As long as people are willing to log on and voluntarily give free information to advertisers, they are more than happy to accommodate you and make money in the process.

After all, Mark Zukerberg is on record saying how amazed he was that people were so stupid as to give him all of their private information.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Given the recent events in the news with Facebook, is anyone really surprised?

Facebook exists to make money. As long as people are willing to log on and voluntarily give free information to advertisers, they are more than happy to accommodate you and make money in the process.

After all, Mark Zukerberg is on record saying how amazed he was that people were so stupid as to give him all of their private information.
Facebook is for girls!

I'd rather Andy make the money! ;)

· Premium Member
7,063 Posts
I only have Facebook because it is my daughter's private school's preferred mode of communication. To me, it is way too invasive. I have the bare minimum information on there. Plus, I have it set to believe that I am a middle-aged black male that was educated in Chicago.

· Registered
2,460 Posts
Anyone who is of the opinion that anything placed online or sent via email is secure is willfully naive. Any pretense at unhackable security on the part of online service providers is merely e-Kabuki. And "Who watches the watchmen" so to speak?

The fact that the online financial system functions at all is miraculous in itself given the 24/7 activities of state actors, or those in their employ (i.e. Cambridge Analytica), to undermine security. Ours is a system protected more by mutually assured financial destruction than high tech firewalls. If the system if compromised too severely, the financial markets collapse.

Cheers,

BSR

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
"Mutually assured (financial) destruction"...The Gold War?
'Mutually Assured (nuclear) Destruction'....The Cold War!

Egad, the plot thickens and our descent into hell quickens......:eek: :crazy: :(

· Registered
3,969 Posts
The mark of the beast is next!

It is by faith folks! It is by faith!

In the old days we didn't need to lock the doors.

It seems so much good faith is largely gone.

I need a secret worm hole to another galaxy to keep my silver and gold safe. (Where's Albert Einstein when we need him?)

Nowadays, we got to keep our windows shut, too!

· Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,126 Posts
666 is the numerological symbol of the emperor Nero. This is historically verifiable. Any other interpretation is rubbish. Trust me, the people of the time knew it.

· Registered
2,460 Posts
If you want to see what info FB keeps on you, click the little down arrow on the top right corner of your profile page. Choose "settings" from the drop down menu. Look at the bottom of the General Account Settings Menu and choose "Download a Copy" of your Facebook data.

Prepare to be amazed....

Cheers,

BSR

· Registered
3,182 Posts
I signed up for FaceBook about nine years ago at the behest of a colleague. The very next day, the first time I signed into my account, I had request to be friends from people I never even knew,...I never signed in again.

I would like to have FB delete whatever small amount of personal information they currently have, I am told it is difficult.

· Registered
430 Posts
A bunch of friends convinced me to join in 2010 to keep everyone up to date after my liver transplant. 3 months and I was done. LinkedIn only for me and I only connect to associates I know, and never post.

Honestly I am contemplating stepping back to a flip phone...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,568 Posts
Facebook is just a tool.

Like any tool, maybe a tenth of users really know how to use it. I mean, think of all the dustcloth-draped lathes in a million man-caves.

The problem is, people use Facebook *anyway*; it's not sitting forgotten in the shed. If you understand it, it's pretty handy!

DH

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
A bunch of friends convinced me to join in 2010 to keep everyone up to date after my liver transplant. 3 months and I was done. LinkedIn only for me and I only connect to associates I know, and never post.

Honestly I am contemplating stepping back to a flip phone...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I never gave my flip phone up, and it's turned off most of the time.

I acknowledge having Luddite tendencies, and that certain circumstances make not having a smartphone a hardship not worth any potential benefits. If I were still in business, I'd have one. But I know that there're enormous corporate efforts to collect as much information about individuals as possible. Now it may be that all these efforts are as benign as large businesses assure us they are, -:laughing:- but my 30+ years in the business world makes me not wish to bet my future on it.

And while a smartphone has significant potential benefits, the manner in which I most often see them being used is both comical, and just plain dreadful manners.

· Registered
2,460 Posts
I use FB daily to keep up with my family while abroad. It is a great tool to keep people informed of the family comings and goings. With my wife in one country, me in another and two kids in the US at two different universities, FB has been very beneficial for us. However, our kids heavily favor instagram these days and we mostly only use the Messenger function on FB.

Cheers,

BSR

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
It pleases me that everyone who enjoys social media has it to enjoy, but what did we do all those years before we had instant, constant access to one another? I largely preferred it that way, and still do, as I value my privacy far more than that ability. When cell phones first became common, and continuing into smart phones I marveled at anyone having so much to say, and still do. Snatches of one sided conversation overheard most often sounded something like; "Hi, Joe, I'm heading into Home Depot now. Where are you? Yeah? Well, I'm going to look for a power drill. But I don't know. Yeah. Gotta go now, Joe. Gotta head back soon."

When did we develop the need to narrate the minutiae of our lives? When did we come to believe that anyone wanted to listen to it? Or the hubris to believe they should?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.