Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to have some work done at the tailor and went in on Friday. A couple of new suits, tailoring to a rain coat, and a new liner put in my winter over-coat.

Anyhow I realized that I simply dont like going and I figured out why. I look terrible standing their in an ill fitting, un-tailored in mis-matched shirt and tie. Add the poor lighting that highlights my thinning hair and the version of myself in the tailor's mirror, up on a pedestal is simply not the person that I view myself as.

Do you enjoy a trip to the tailor or not?

As an aside, my tailor (who is the best I have found in Westchester) will turn around my work in 5 days whereas in the past it usually takes 3 weeks. He said that this tends to be a slow season, but thinks the economy is making it tough.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Do you enjoy a trip to the tailor
I'm not sure why anyone would "enjoy" going to the tailor any more than one would enjoy taking the car in for repairs. I like the end result but the actual act of going in and taking clothes on an off in a small dressing room, and then standing there in a public place while some guy marks all over me with a piece of chalk isn't exactly my idea of fun.

In other words it isn't something that I would choose to do for pleasure if it wasn't necessary to get my clothes to fit right.

Cruiser

·
Registered
996 Posts
I can't believe this

The customer is clearly in the superior position; would you rather be crouching around with pins in your mouth and a piece of chalk?
The tailor is obliging and you get to be exacting in your wishes. I'm not so hot on changing in that little closet or having any sidewalk gawkers at the window, but I'm not that self-conscious and it beats the alternatives.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You're All Mad!

Honestly, I LOVE IT. My tailor and I have a great rapport and get along very well. But what I love the most is knowing that in one week i will have a new garment that will fit me exquisitely! I also enjoy looking at all of the fabrics he has lying around...my alterations guy is also a bespoke tailor, and its like a kid in a candy store...although my wife and my wallet don't feel the same way that I do!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I actually like going.

My tailors shop is in a mall directly across from a hair salon and post office. It feels nice to take a suit or sportcoat in that does not quite fit, and watch as the tailor marks and pins it until it drapes correctly. It is also nice being watched by the ladies passing in the mall. I have had some ladies tell me as I am leaving the shop, that they think it is really nice to see a man who doesn't settle for wearing their clothes straight off the rack. We may think that they don't care, but they pay more attention than we realize. :biggrin2:

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I'm not so hot on changing in that little closet or having any sidewalk gawkers at the window, but I'm not that self-conscious and it beats the alternatives.
Who's self conscious? It's just a pain in the butt to me to have to take the time to do it, just like it's a pain in the butt to take the car in for repairs. I would much rather be able to just snap my fingers and have my clothes fit without the hassle.

All I'm saying is that taking clothes in for alterations is something I do only because I have to do it to get my clothes right. When I buy a new pair of pants I'm not thinking "Oh boy, now I can go to the tailor and get them altered. This is gonna be fun." No, I would prefer that they fit without the alterations, but alas they don't.

Let's put it this way. If every piece of clothing you bought fit perfect without need for alterations, would you deliberately buy things that don't fit just so you would have an excuse to go have them altered by the tailor? If not then apparently you also take clothes in to be altered out of necessity, not because it's just a fun thing to do. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
458 Posts
enjoyment

I like going to the tailor. I like the process of chosing a a new cloth, lining, etc.

I enjoy discussing details like one or two vents, two or three buttons etc.

It is a creative process, where I and my tailor together decides what looks the best.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lately, I dread going to the tailor. In fact, I think I might need a new one. He's done some good things, but he also destroyed the last suit I took in. But we literally speak different languages, so most of the trouble lies there.

I need a waist taken in in a pair of pants, and I'm considering doing it myself, if that answers your initial question.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It's just a pain in the butt to me to have to take the time to do it, just like it's a pain in the butt to take the car in for repairs.
False analogy. One takes a car to be repaired when the car, originally in good condition, has deteriorated or been damaged. Tailoring involves improving on the baseline.

The actual time spent having the jacket or whatever pinned isn't what you'd call a thrill, but since I live right across the street from my tailor, it's not a hassle. And knowing that a so-so suit will in a week become a good suit is a bit of fun.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hate it.

My tailor is awesome. But hyper critical to detail and judgmental. I once asked him to let some pants out in the waist - he refused and told me they'd look best if I did some exercise and lost some weight. Which would be irritating, except, of course, he was right.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I like going to my tailor

Most of my alterations are done by the store where the garment was purchased, whether it is a suit or odd-trousers. I do like going to my tailor mainly because the garment looks better after the return visit and secondly, my tailor listens and knows what I want.

It can be annoying if I am not based close to his workshop, because it means I have to go out of my way to visit the workshop.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Honestly, I LOVE IT. My tailor and I have a great rapport and get along very well. But what I love the most is knowing that in one week i will have a new garment that will fit me exquisitely! I also enjoy looking at all of the fabrics he has lying around...my alterations guy is also a bespoke tailor, and its like a kid in a candy store...although my wife and my wallet don't feel the same way that I do!
I could have written this myself!

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Tailoring is a chore, but one that does improve one's appearance . . .

. . . such that I generally like to go to the tailor's.

I lost about 10-11 lbs. about 18 months ago, and, for 2009, am going through the process of either donating my ill-fitting clothes to charity (I dropped off three JAB suits, a JAB D/B navy blazer, some shirts, and three of my older fedoras to Housing Works this weekend), or having them re-tailored. I am doing some through Brooks (since much of my wardrobe came from there), and am having the rest done through a gentleman named Joseph, a most congenial Neapolitan with a workspace not far from my office (7 Dey St. - about a block from Ground Zero). Seeing Joseph is always entertaining - his workroom is always full of customers, and he seems to keep all of them entertained at once, while fitting and pinning away. His work, so far, has been quite satisfactory, and his turnaround time is usually about a week or so, depending on his backlog of work.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I enjoy it quite a bit. His wife is usually there, she loves me, and as a couple they're quite a hoot. I'd wager I'm one of the few customers he has that really pays attention to detail, and as such they really strive to show they're paying attention.

Recently she's been doing some measurements for alterations, screwing it up and he has to finish. While this might make some nervous it's really quite amusing watching them...and the work seems to be pretty good. I know she's been doing all the hand finishing on my coats and everything is about perfect.

-spence

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is really two different questions, or at least should be addressed separately:

1) Do you like going to the tailors (to have alterations done)?

I would view this as a purely practical matter, so don't really feel either way - just wished the garment fitted correctly 'off the bat'.

2) Do you like going to the tailors (to have bespoke or MTM done)?

Yes!!

As an earlier post said, it is a creative process. Choosing the style, cloth etc etc, and then seeing that idea literally come to life.

One thing people forget is that you should have a good rapport with your bespoke/MTM tailor, and I would also go further and say that tailors are arguably only as good as their clients to an extent - to get the best out of a tailor BOTH of you need to have the aim of creating the best ever suit there was (for you).

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Like it!

Yes, it's not the most glamorous place, and the changing room is a joke, but I like the jolly Indian and his sweet wife. We josh a bit, and he's really good, so I know the result will be an improvement. He sometimes comes up with a better solution than I went in with, which makes me feel really good. The fact that he's also very reasonable doesn't hurt. They don't do buttonholes, though. I have to go elsewhere for that.

Their motto: "We know we aren't your first tailors, but we're sure we'll be your last."

As for gawkers, I was standing on "the podium" having my Army blue dress mess uniform marked up to send back to Marlow White for tailoring and putting on the gold braid and rank, and a lady came in to wait for her fitting. I nearly fell out when she asked me what marching band I was in (it must have been the yellow satin cavalry/armor lapels)! Maintaining my composure, with difficulty, I stated, "Why, Ma'am, one of the greatest in the world: the U. S. Army;-)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have great confidence in my tailor. He has met or exceeded my expectations over the years and I am continually impressed with his craftsmanship. As a result, the experience is always positive. After 4 decades of experience, he is very quick at the marking process and turns around my alterations in 3 to 5 days.

Andy M.
Delmar, NY

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good news/Bad news

I enjoy going to the tailor because we share interests besides clothing and any visit results in a nice conversation. I also enjoy going over the mechanics of how the garment is going to be altered or made.

Bad news is the tailor now knows my taste quite well, so there is always a delightful swatch of fabric he has to show me. $$$

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
This is really two different questions, or at least should be addressed separately:

1) Do you like going to the tailors (to have alterations done)?

I would view this as a purely practical matter, so don't really feel either way - just wished the garment fitted correctly 'off the bat'.

2) Do you like going to the tailors (to have bespoke or MTM done)?

Yes!!
This is exactly what I was going to say but you beat me to it. The question posed by the OP was whether or not you like taking your clothes to the tailor for alterations. Despite what many are saying, I still think they would rather the clothes fit right without having to take them to the tailor for alterations.

And those who do talk about how much they enjoy it aren't talking about the alterations process, they are talking about the joy of the finished product or of how much they like to socialize with their tailor. With regard to the former, I still think they would just as soon have the item fit perfect without the tailoring so it isn't the trip to the tailor that they enjoy but rather the clothing after it has been tailored. Not the same thing. Like I said, I'll bet everyone would say that they would prefer that the clothes fit without the alterations.

As to the latter, if you want to socialize with the person just stop in to see him. My tailor happens to be a friend and I have stopped in just to shoot the breeze with him, and I would rather visit with him this way than have to change clothes and have them marked for alterations. I'd rather just shoot the breeze if the socialization is what I enjoy and leave out the other part.

If someone says that they "enjoy" taking clothes in for alterations, then why would you ever purchase anything in the correct size and deprive yourself of that enjoyment. Just buy one size off and then you can have the fun of going to the alterations tailor.

I think there is a difference between saying that you simply do not necessarily dislike something, and saying that you enjoy it. I don't dislike taking clothes in for alteration if alterations are necessary, but I don't enjoy it either. In other words, I don't do it for fun; and I doubt that many others do either.

Cruiser

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
And those who do talk about how much they enjoy it aren't talking about the alterations process, they are talking about the joy of the finished product or of how much they like to socialize with their tailor.
The reason I like going is that the garment fits better then in its own state.

Ideally, I would like all retailers to offer 40s sportscoat and hemmed trousers in the correct length, rather then waiting for the store to get the garment altered or take it to a tailor to be altered. I do have a pair of casual Burberry trousers (finished hem) that fit as well as my altered trousers with the leg length perfect.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.