Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New member to the forum here. I'm hoping that you experts will have the perfect solution for my dilemma. I have a very awkward build. I'm 6'3" with about a 31" waist, but due to a chest wall birth defect, my chest is 33" at its widest point. As you might expect, buying clothes that are flattering can be quite challenging.

I am newly in the workforce having recently graduated college, and I work for a firm that requires me to have a suit wardrobe as well as business casual options. Suit shopping has not been fun. A 38L would probably be ideal, but as I'm sure you all know, I'd have an easier time finding Jimmy Hoffa - the size just don't exist. I own a 38R Hugo Boss that I think is cut fine for me - it covers my butt, but from store to store all I hear is "you need a long." I have a smaller torso and am very long-legged, so I think some 38Rs might work.

In a strange twist, I went to Beijing last year and had a suit made to measure. If I compare my custom jacket and my 38R Boss, they are exactly the same length. No variation whatsoever. This leads me to wonder if I really need a long after all.

Any thoughts on what to do? I need more suits for work but have so far been totally unsuccessful. It has been very discouraging. Do you think I can pull off 38R suits even with my height? Are there any designers that you know might make a suit that would work well for me? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

As you said, MTM would be the best option. However, if you think the 38R looks fine on you, it probably does. Some pics would be helpful.

Everything varies from maker to maker, you'll probably find that some 38Rs are fine for you, while others are too short. I don't know much about the cut of Hugo Boss suits so I can't tell you if their jackets are longer then normal, someone else will probably know though.

I'm 6'1 and wear a regular, so if you have a shorter torso and longer legs, a regular might work for you as well. It depends more on proportions than just your total height, so I wouldn't really rely on the stores telling you that you need a long.

To sum up your question:
Do you think I can pull off 38R suits even with my height?
Yes, probably. If it covers your rear and you think it looks fine, then it should be fine.

Maybe someone else can give you some specific brands/cuts that would work, but my recommendation would be (and you may have done this already) to go around town to try on as many different suits as you can, and just see what works for you. Even if the store tries to tell you it's too short, it might not be. As I said before, some pics of the Hugo Boss would help us point you in the right direction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.