Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has come up in a different thread. I thought we could have a show of hands here.

So are you a student in classics? Do you have a degree, undergraduate or graduate, in classics?

I wrote my dissertation on Greek poetry and ancient literary scholarship. I publish mainly on early and Hellenistic Greek literature.

· Registered
105 Posts
Though no longer in the Classics, I received my BA in Classical Studies. I have turned to studying the literature and history of the Hellenistic Near East for my MA and PhD. I publish mostly concerning the history the history and literature of the Hasmonean kingdom of Judea.

· Registered
2,163 Posts
Nope. You could say I studied the things furthest from the classics. They simply do/did nothing for me. I dual majored in philosophy and English, so I am, of course, referring to those disciplines. I took many English lit courses, but I relish in creative writing on my free time. Each to their own and all that, but now that it's said and done, I quickly learned to avert classical philosophy and Shakespeare, and the likes, simply because drudging through all that stuff, to me, was like pulling teeth (with no pain killers). I actually found medieval English literature to be quite interesting. I learned how to read and speak middle English (would you know Shakespeare is really modern English?). I studied contemporary philosophy, especially third wave feminism and Western interpretations of Buddhism: Lacanian, Neitzschian and Derridean philosophies, philosophers troubled with the claim that time is universal and several obscure female philosophers. I guess you could say the last thing I am is an existentialist. I don't believe in a secular idea of existentialism. I identify as Roman Catholic. Nothing can shake my faith. I believe the only free will we "experience" is God-given, a gift from Him. Without God, there is no free-will, end of story.

· Registered
1,937 Posts
The classics

Gentlemen

It is interesting you mention early Greek literature. The scene of Patton reading Greek, is very true.
I also have a dear friend, my age who is a West Pointer. I admire this man. He reads Greek literature as well. He studied the same at the Point.
I am a big fan of literature. Any book I can get I read. Unfortunately, I read in English. And feel sad I did not study Greek.
So much out there to read, so little time is my motto now
I am constantly telling people around to read.
I feel the arts and classics should continue. I fear that we are losing our history as it is! Let alone the classics.

Nice day

· Registered
105 Posts
Gentlemen

It is interesting you mention early Greek literature. The scene of Patton reading Greek, is very true.
I also have a dear friend, my age who is a West Pointer. I admire this man. He reads Greek literature as well. He studied the same at the Point.
I am a big fan of literature. Any book I can get I read. Unfortunately, I read in English. And feel sad I did not study Greek.
So much out there to read, so little time is my motto now
I am constantly telling people around to read.
I feel the arts and classics should continue. I fear that we are losing our history as it is! Let alone the classics.

Nice day
If you feel this way, and happen to have a load of money:icon_smile_big:, you can donate a chair at a university (Duke perhaps) so that instruction in the foundational literature of western civilization can continue to be taught for ages to come.

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Donate

Gentlemen

I just found out earlier this week. The English department at Duke is actually exceptional. the best in the country, even compared to the basketball team and so on.
The literature library is outstanding I am told.

Anyway, I do not think we will lose the classics. As you all know, we have them for a reason. There still is a great number of people who love to learn the classics.

What we are losing, is our history!

Nice weekend gentlemen

· Registered
1,304 Posts
No Major but spent a lot of time with Plato Aristotle and Ovid while making my first attempt at a BA in Philosophy, which I never completed.

But I believe, and even though my time is taken up with Continental Philosophy and Deleuze, I think that they are an excellent starting point in any education. Its a pity that the Neo Con(artists) and the Neo Liberals/Free Marketers never read the Ethics by Aristotle.

I would also venture Homer as indispensable and Thyucydides as a prime example of the historians craft.

· Registered
5,152 Posts
I took greek and latin in 4-5-6 grades while at an anglican private school. Then the wasteland from 7-12 with Bobby Dylon taught in english and enough 'black studies' to finally impress on me a division I never knew growing up.
In college, I met Dina, a gay,greek born muse with black hair and a speaking voice as deep as any 'wine red sea.'
And Dina prepared a greek meal with ouzo and recited from the Iliad in greek on a blanket spread in an old olive grove on rocky California ground not unlike her home.
And then mycenium gravis first took her voice and ultimately her life, and I knew the full meaning of tragedy and the capriciousness of the gods.

· Registered
28 Posts
A.B. in Classical Greek (couldn't bring myself to take Latin) and did a semester at The House with a Rhodes whose dissertation supervisor was none other than Christopher Pelling.

My last class- Aeschylus' Agamemnon. I wrote an original article entitled, "Daughters of Night, Dogs of Dusk" about the imagery of Clytemnestra and the Eumenides.

· Registered
104 Posts
I have an undergrad in Philosophy from a minor seminary. While I wouldn't exactly call myself a student of the classics, I was certainly exposed to a lot of the great primary text sources.

"To read the Latin and Greek authors in their original is a sublime luxury." - Thomas Jefferson

· Registered
1,306 Posts
I don't have a degree in classical studies, and I have never studied Greek or Latin, but I do not believe it would have been possible to graduate from my alma mater without at least 12 semester hours reading Greek and Latin literature and philosophy in translation.

· Registered
188 Posts
Umm guilty!! - Major in Classsics and was 'forced' to study Latin from the age of six onwards. Like most things I no longer use, I have, I regret to say forgotten most of what I have learnt - shame on me!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.