Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time again, when the weather gets colder and I turn my attention to outerwear.

Some of the posts in this forum are amusing, and the some of the advice borders on the ridiculous, if not outright buffoonery, so here goes:

I received a gift a year ago of a man's full-length mink coat! It is a nice, full-length overcoat, mink fur...you get the picture.
It fits me, and it scares me that I enjoy having it on!

Do men wear full-length mink coats this day in age?

I'm your average city guy--and I like to go around being an average city guy. Sure, I aspire to be Warren Buffett when I'm in my 70s, but I'm 30 now.

Can a 30-year old man wear a full-length mink in public?

I know the football players do it. I know Puffy Daddy does it.
While I faithfully try to emulate Puff Daddy's style in other respects, should I do it here too?

I've researched this (it scares me how much)--and I know that Gene Hiller Menswear in Sausolito, CA--the ARBITER of men's style in the US--carries full-length mink coats for their gentlemen customers, alongside bespoke Brioni suits and Canali shirts.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell--whom I wouldn't mind being--has been reported sporting a full-length mink along with a fat cigar after a Patriots game last season. I can't find a single photo to back this up!

Menswear from Neiman Marcus--if Neimans carry it, then it's ok for gentlemen--does that reasoning hold?

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/...eed&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=24-1460362-2

Not a full-length coat, but it's mink fur (and possibly worse than a full-length coat)...

So, what do I do? Do I take it to my local furrier who buys good quality merchandise for the cost of a few good dinners....or do I keep it? Halloween is coming up too...

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Women's opinions on this matter ought not to matter, and should be rightly outright disregarded.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
No. Acceptable use of fur is:

1. As part of court, academic, or national dress.
2. On the collar.
3. Inside the coat as a lining, or if shearling etc.

This basic rule applies even in places like Sibera or the Arctic. Why? Because wearing fur on the outside is not as effective at warming the body than when the fur is turned intward as a lining.

As for fur being worn out:

When fur is worn in Africa, however, you will see it worn outwardly. Naturally, the warming quality is not of essence.

The same applies on the streets of Manhattan or Florida. :icon_smile_big: But as part of European dress, this not to be done.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Just do it

It's that time again, when the weather gets colder and I turn my attention to outerwear.

Some of the posts in this forum are amusing, and the some of the advice borders on the ridiculous, if not outright buffoonery, so here goes:

I received a gift a year ago of a man's full-length mink coat! It is a nice, full-length overcoat, mink fur...you get the picture.
It fits me, and it scares me that I enjoy having it on!

Do men wear full-length mink coats this day in age?

I'm your average city guy--and I like to go around being an average city guy. Sure, I aspire to be Warren Buffett when I'm in my 70s, but I'm 30 now.

Can a 30-year old man wear a full-length mink in public?

I know the football players do it. I know Puffy Daddy does it.
While I faithfully try to emulate Puff Daddy's style in other respects, should I do it here too?

So, what do I do? Do I take it to my local furrier who buys good quality merchandise for the cost of a few good dinners....or do I keep it? Halloween is coming up too...

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Women's opinions on this matter ought not to matter, and should be rightly outright disregarded.
I can sense your struggle so I'm going to help you out.
First of all what size is the coat? If it's a 54-56 or 2xL 3xl I think it may look silly for you to wear around. Best thing would be to sell it to me cheap because I have no shame in these matters.
Someone gave you the coat because they thought you could pull off the look. If you don't think you can well....sell the coat to me cheap.
Truth be told there are no laws about what is appropraite to wear only accepted rules and opinions you either decide to follow or not.

Fur is one of those items of clothing you either look good in or you don't. Sort of like spectators. Because you don't see them around like the 1920s or 1940s it seems odd when you do see a guy wearing them. At one time people wouldn't stare because it was common to see spectators or a guy wearing fur. Today people will stare so you'll have to decide if you can take it.

Now you can either do some trail blazing and bring that fur out or be self conscious not wear it, and sell it to me cheap being that I have no shame wearing fur as stated earlier.

People will respond how you think they should. If you're self conscious you'll find those that you'll be self conscious around wearing the coat. If you're confident wearing the coat you'll find others who will approve of your choice of fur.
Also, if you can't fend off someone coming at you with red paint or with words that could harm your self esteem by their lack of approval, sell the coat to me cheap because I....

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Confidence

Wearing an item of clothing such as this requires absolute confidence to pull off...you don'y exhibit that in your post...especially since you reference Halloween approaching. I wouldn't wear it, and from your doubts, I would suggest you cast it aside.

Unless of course by "average city guy" you mean up and coming hip hop artist...then by all means go for it!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would say only as a liner. Mrs C-B has a fur liner handed down from her mother and I don't believe that you can get a better warmth to weight ratio. It only comes out when the weather goes below -5.

This reminds me slightly of a story told by Senator David Norris (a leading Joycean expert at Trinity College Dublin) on the Late Late Show many years ago. He had recently returned from a trip to the States with a full length raccoon coat and when wearing it was called a number of no-doubt fruity names by a couple of youths on O'Connell Street. His response was to turn round and proposition them upon which they fled in blind panic - Senator Norris leans in a certain direction, ahem, if you know what I mean. The story was a lot funnier when he told it

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Of course each is free to do as he pleases, but there is no way I would head out on the town in a fur coat without running this by the woman in my life. By the same token I would certainly hope that she would consult me before stepping out in something that is this far out on the fringes of normal attire, Joe Namath and Clyde 'The Glide" Frazier notwithstanding. Of note is the fact that Frazier said that he wore his fur coat as a sartorial nod to the 1930's gangsters.

Just for the record I asked my SO how she would feel about me wearing a fur coat this winter. She just laughed and said that I would be wearing it without her. So this man's opinion is to leave the fur coat in the closet or, like eagle said, save it for the bedroom. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It takes absolute confidence to pull off wearing a fur coat, but even then, it won't necessarily look good as I've seen many confident guys wear it and look terrible. However, I saw two guys in full-length fur coats several years ago on a snowy Saturday afternoon in Chicago. They were lean, dressed in suits, and had the suave to look terrific. That's the only time I've thougth guys looked great in fur.

A few years ago I served on a special committee that included a very well known CEO who later became a U.S. ambassador. We were meeting one evening when he walked in late wearing a mink coat. There was complete silence for a good 30 seconds that seemed like much, much longer. Lots of unflattering chatter after the meeting about his coat.

By the way, I'm not opposed to fur, I'd just only wear it as a liner on a bitterly cold and snowy day.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Don't forget the political side of fur, the animal rights people. I for one would not wear fur and I would probably shake my head if I saw anyone wearing it (man that is, not fond of it on women either)...but each to his or her own. You might be very provocative in fur, in more ways than you think, no sexual connotation implied.

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
If you feel you have to ask opinions here, the answer is 'no'. The only opinion which matters is your own and that is obviously wavering.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I'll take the opposite stand ....

I wouldn't buy one, but if I got it for a gift, and it got cold enough, I'd wear it. Chicago would be a good place to wear a mink in Jan-Feb. I have thought about getting a black cashmere coat with a mink collar, but never have. I think it's where you wear it, and how cold it gets. I wouldn't wear it to the local pub or bowling alley, but I would wear it to an elegant evening in Chicago, which is the right setting and it gets damn cold there. If you have no problem with your masculinity, wearing a mink coat wont diminish it. Several here (on this forum) wont wear opera pumps, so you can't depend on their opinion. If my girl friend didn't like it, that's tough! It's easier to get another girl friend than a free Mink coat.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It takes absolute confidence to pull off wearing a fur coat, but even then, it won't necessarily look good as I've seen many confident guys wear it and look terrible. However, I saw two guys in full-length fur coats several years ago on a snowy Saturday afternoon in Chicago. They were lean, dressed in suits, and had the suave to look terrific. That's the only time I've thougth guys looked great in fur.

A few years ago I served on a special committee that included a very well known CEO who later became a U.S. ambassador. We were meeting one evening when he walked in late wearing a mink coat. There was complete silence for a good 30 seconds that seemed like much, much longer. Lots of unflattering chatter after the meeting about his coat.

By the way, I'm not opposed to fur, I'd just only wear it as a liner on a bitterly cold and snowy day.
LOL...who is this CEO? Feel free to PM me...or to hint his identity without naming him.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
No. Neiman Marcus has a lot of questionable items made for those going for the pimp look. There are plenty of such customers and NM caters to them well.
Neiman's bizarre men's fur coats predate the era when people who affect the "pimp" look could not only afford to shop at Neiman's but were welcomed there... I have Christmas catalogues from the 70s where gentlemen seem to be wearing life-size polar bear costumes.

I own a large black leather bomber jacket with a mink lining and collar. It's reversible, but I'd never wear it with the fur on the outside.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
When he coached Notre Dame basketball, Digger Phelps wore one regularly. Don't know whether he still does.

Out of curiosity what was the back story about recieving such and expensive and unusual gift?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
When he coached Notre Dame basketball, Digger Phelps wore one regularly. Don't know whether he still does.

Out of curiosity what was the back story about recieving such and expensive and unusual gift?
I'm picturing the little man who stands on the corner on Michigan Avenue, handing out fliers for a furrier in a full-length coat. Perhaps the OP rescued him from crazed animal rights activists?

(Upon reflection, maybe he's not so little, but he's often with a beautiful girl who's probably eight feet tall.)

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
In WW2, the germans, looking well tailored in grey-green with silver and black accents found the russian winter favoured the russian quilted look.

The Wermacht sent out a plea for fur coat contributions that were recut for winter wear. A friend owns a mountian trooper's coat replete with Edelwies and silver fox lining!

As an aside, natural fur is still used for hood and collar ruffs not so much for styling as practicallity. Furs from the arctic climes are superior for keeping ice crystals forming from the wearer's breath, something synthetics fail to do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.