Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attending a dance(leading it actually), and all I have at the moment are odd jackets. I know I should wear a dinner jacket, but a suit would be far more versatile that, and I really cannot afford both. The vast majority of people wear suits to this dance (roughly 10 out of 200 wore proper evening dress last year plus one gentleman in a kilt.:icon_smile_big:), so I will not be out of place.

Anyway, I am trying to find a good quality suit on sale, below $200. A challenge I know, so your input will be invaluble.

I saw this suit at Kohls today, what are your opinions of it. It is certainly not on par with Brooks Brothers, but it seemed to be of fair enough quality to me. Does anyone know the quality of CHAPS as opposed to other brands. And is the color to light for the evening.

https://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/me...Chaps+Sharkskin+Wool+Suit+Separates++Gray.jsp

Any advice is welcome. I will continue to post my findings. The dance is in 3 weeks.

640 Posts
IMHO, the Chaps suits at Kohls are a good buy for less than $200. You can do a lot worse for more. Moreover if you can go down to a Kolhs and try the jacket and trousers on. Then your'e not taking mail order sizing risk.

BTW, that gray and that texture looks fine OK for a young gentleman at a dance. I'd suggest a white shirt with a solid black neck tie. Classic Cary Grant. Otherwise, I'd look for a solid dark blue or solid black suit. Pin or chalk stripes to me to me look too daytime and don't go well for a dance.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I am attending a dance(leading it actually), and all I have at the moment are odd jackets. I know I should wear a dinner jacket, but a suit would be far more versatile that, and I really cannot afford both. The vast majority of people wear suits to this dance (roughly 10 out of 200 wore proper evening dress last year plus one gentleman in a kilt.:icon_smile_big:), so I will not be out of place.

Anyway, I am trying to find a good quality suit on sale, below $200. A challenge I know, so your input will be invaluble.
A long time ago, Chaps was what you would find at Dillard's and Macy's - "Polo" was only available at actual Ralph Lauren stores.

I think it's a perfectly serviceable suit. I've seen some Haggar dress trousers that I thought were very well made, but everything on the Kohl's web site from them seems to be polyester and rayon.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I saw this suit at Kohls today, what are your opinions of it. It is certainly not on par with Brooks Brothers, but it seemed to be of fair enough quality to me. Does anyone know the quality of CHAPS as opposed to other brands. And is the color to light for the evening.

https://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/me...Chaps+Sharkskin+Wool+Suit+Separates++Gray.jsp
You should consider the American Living brand at J.C. Penney. I can't prove it, but I suspect both Chaps and American Living are made in the same Chinese factories.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I would go with either Joseph A. Bank or Paul Fredrick (www.paulfredrick.com), where you can probably get a suit on clearance for less than that--possibly even a three-piece.
I just bought a PF three-piece, I love it, but finding one in your size in clearance is a bit of an issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Depending on where you live and how lucky you are feeling, you might want to check out a thrift store and cross your fingers. While chances are you'll find nothing nice in your size, you might get lucky. The other day I bought a mint condition Hickey Freeman suit for $10. It fits as well as the suits of most men on the street, though I'll probably spend another 50-75 having it taken in for a bit more fitted of a look.

I'd definitely stop, particularly if there is a Goodwill-Salvation Army on your way to the mall.

·
Registered
243 Posts
For my medical school interviews, I wore a $10 Mens Warehouse suit from Goodwill, with about $35 in tailoring it to fit me better (sleeves, jacket waist, cuffs).

They were foolish enough to accept me.

2 points: 1. If you have time and desire, you can find stuff really cheap at Goodwill or eBay. 2. Fit Fit Fit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.