Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
25,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first joined this forum there were regular threads about this topic but they seem to have ridden into the sunset. So here are some examples I recently found.

Face Suit trousers Head Smile Dress shirt

Black Dress shirt Neck Sleeve Grey

Outerwear Shirt Shoulder Dress shirt Black

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
25,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am slowly losing weight. Hopefully by the time the University Club formal events come along, Covid will have faded along with my excess spare tire and I will be comfortable in mine again. I really like the velvet DB version above.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Governor of Indiana finally had his boots and black-tie optional inaugural ball this past weekend. I suppose it's a take-off on those black tie and boots things I've been to in Texas and other places in the American Southwest. I've been miserably sick the last week or we'd have been there. I'd have liked to have seen who was there and what they were wearing. Around here, you just never know. There will be other opportunities soon enough when things get rolling again...

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,769 Posts
I'm looking forward to breaking out my tuxedo rig this fall! I think I wore it 3 times in the past year.
Earlier this year, realizing that I had not worn a Tux, military or civilian, in the 6+ years since we moved to central Florida, the civilian tux was thinned from the herd in my closet and I am left with naught, but my USAF midnight blue Mess Dress uniform. Of course I could only wear that if I added a six inch extension to the buttons that fasten the jacket over the cummerbund. I just don't see that happening! I'm going to be screwed at the formal night on the next cruise. LOL. ;)

·
(aka TKI67)
3,176 Posts
When I was in the private sector I was on a lot of boards, and each board came with its own gala. Add opening nights for ballets and operas and symphonies, and the black tie got a lot of use. When I returned to the public sector in 1999 I resigned from all of my boards and gave up the incredible season tickets. (Take note, for ballet and opera the center around row R is primo. It is where the artistic folks sit to set lighting, etc.). Eventually the black tie clothing went away. I miss it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'll have a chance to wear black tie in a week's time (will do a dress rehearsal today to see if things still fit).
Face masks are required, which begs the question: What would be the proper face mask for black tie? :icon_scratch:
My plan is a midnight blue mask with the name of the event embroidered in silver on one side...

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
I'll have a chance to wear black tie in a week's time (will do a dress rehearsal today to see if things still fit).
Face masks are required, which begs the question: What would be the proper face mask for black tie? :icon_scratch:
My plan is a midnight blue mask with the name of the event embroidered in silver on one side...
A pleated midnight blue face mask. It should look like a face cummerbund.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's even on sale!
Head Human body Neck Sleeve Sunglasses

·
Registered
473 Posts
I did go to my black tie event and it was a success. Full vaccination was required, so face masks were not needed.

The event was in Europe, so I double-checked that I had remembered all the bits and pieces, since it had been so long since my last black tie event. Nothing worse than discovering that you forgot the shirt studs a half hour before the event...

This was an event with high ranking officials. It still surprises me that some guests interpret "Black tie, gala uniform or lounge suit" on the invitation as e.g. a light brown suit with a flowery tie...
Most of the guests followed the protocol, though...

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Given the reluctance of non-profits to plan fund raising gatherings in the era of COVID, my tux is very lonely.

Maybe 2022? Who knows.....

Cheers,

BSR
As the treasurer of a free non profit clinic in western North Carolina, I can tell you that not being able to hold events for donors has been a real challenge. Some continue to be generous and some do seem to forget our work. Hard times.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts