Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, but I'll admit to having lurked here for a couple of weeks, so here goes...

I wear suits to work most days (or at least a sports coat and trousers), but I have never worn a pocket square. I like the look of them, but admit to being somewhat at a loss for how/what/where to wear them. What's the best way to coordinate the colors? If it matches too closely with the tie (i.e., identically), I'm not sure I like that look as much, but I'm going to guess there's some coordination that ideally would (should??) be done. Is it just better to go the vintage route and use a white handkerchief?

To that end, if I were to wear one, what's the best way to fold one?

I wonder if this will come down to personal preference, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Thanks for whatever you can help you can provide with advancing my wardrobe.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
One man's opinion on this:

Wearing a pocket square to work could be viewed as a bit "too flamboyant", so I would keep it very understated.

Get yourself a couple of nice white linen squares, use a basic tv fold and leave it at that.

Save your experimentation with puffs, multi point folds and unique color combinations for night time events or the weekend.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Square should never, ever, ever match the tie. Monty Python did not call their last album 'Matching Tie and Handkerchief' for nothing - remember, they were satirists.

Other than that I agree that you can't go wrong with a white linen square. But a silk square is fine too - try and match the secondary colour of the suit or the primary colour of the shirt. Otherwise the usual rules on pattern matching apply - i.e. change the scale and keep the colours.

·
Registered
65 Posts
is a complete guide to various folds on the Sam Hober website....you mentioned a white handkerchief....You can almost never go wrong with white, but make sure it's a pocket square, and not a standard handkerchief as the edges will be different.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Something I like to do from time to time:

Select a tie that has one major color and two minor colors.

Select a pocket square that uses one of those minor colors. It shouldn't match the color perfectly, though.

But I don't do that very often. I think doing that all the time would be kind of 'uptight' looking.

I usually wear a white linen pocket square.

I have an off white paisley silk square from Kent Wang that I often wear with my tuxedo.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I usually wear a white linen pocket square.
It's hard to beat a white linen square isn't it? One of my other favorites is a white linen square with a rolled burgundy edge. Still subtle enough for my tastes, but with just a touch of color. To each his own, but for me personally, I don't like my pocket square to be the item draws attention.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I generally like a pocket square that has a color that subtly matches one of the secondary colors in my tie or shirt. I do like to have some color there most of the time, although not usually for formal occasions. I also think that patterns can be fun, since not much of the square is showing. As said before, change the scale on the pattern so it's not too matchy matchy with no personality.

·
Registered
953 Posts
As someone who went from no squares ever to one every day, I'd say:

(1) start with white linen in a tv (flat) fold. Get used to this, avoid staring at it if you can. It took me quite some time to get completely comfortable with this. If you never do anything else, this alone will add immeasurable amounts of style.

(2) once you are comfortable, start experimenting a little with the fold you like, sticking to white linen. I went to 2 points to start, and it has taken a while to get to comfort levels with more complex or flamboyant folds.

(3) then jump up to other colors and materials. Others have already explained the general idea - avoid matching anything completely, but try to compliment a color elsewhere in your attire. The Paul Stuart catalog/website is a great place to see excellent examples.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts

(1) start with white linen in a tv (flat) fold. Get used to this, avoid staring at it if you can. It took me quite some time to get completely comfortable with this.
FANTASTIC advice. Even if you have to go to the rest room once in a while to reassure yourself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

(1) start with white linen in a tv (flat) fold. Get used to this, avoid staring at it if you can. It took me quite some time to get completely comfortable with this. If you never do anything else, this alone will add immeasurable amounts of style.

(2) once you are comfortable, start experimenting a little with the fold you like, sticking to white linen. I went to 2 points to start, and it has taken a while to get to comfort levels with more complex or flamboyant folds.

(3) then jump up to other colors and materials. Others have already explained the general idea - avoid matching anything completely, but try to compliment a color elsewhere in your attire. The Paul Stuart catalog/website is a great place to see excellent examples.

Enjoy!
Thanks! That's some great advice. Start small and build your way up (not unlike how I started with my suit "collection"). Thanks, again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.