Men's Clothing Forums banner

Where do you wear your pants?

• Above my belly-button. Just call me Urkel.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Around my belly-button.

Votes: 33 30.0%
  • Below my belly-button, but not hanging off my ass.

Votes: 48 43.6%
  • Hips all the way

Votes: 22 20.0%
  • Pants? Who wears pants?

Votes: 3 2.7%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While reading through a recent thread debating how to suit large men, a discussion started up about wearing pants at one's waist vs hips. The OP mentioned that he has always worn pants low, and the only person he ever knew that wore them high was ridiculed for it.

I'm curious where the majority of AAAC members wear their pants. I have a feeling that it will trend a little higher than the average, at least based on my experiences here in the US. Personally, being 25, slim, long-legged, and flat-stomached, I usually wear my jeans and chinos pretty low, although my suits and dressier slacks normally sit about halfway between my jeans-level and my belly button.

What is your experience with pant-rise? I'm fairly certain that one would attract a certain amount of negative attention for wearing pants at or near the belly button, even if it is technically correct. Do you soldier on regardless?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I wear mine above the hips, but probably just below the waist. My legs are much longer than my body, it makes my torso look short when wearing my pants higher.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Flanderian you raise a good point - everyone is built different. I am all legs and no body so the last thing I want is to wear pants high because the bottom of my shirt pocket would be tucked into my belt! I wear my pants wear they sit naturally and wont fall off, I could never go around constantly hiking my pants up and I do see that a lot and it leaves a bad impression when you see it over and over. My belt cinches just above or right at my pelvis.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, but your poll is significantly at odds with my anatomy.

I wear them slightly above my belly button, but that's still a good 9 or 10 inches below the start of my chest.
What exactly marks the start of one's chest? I consider my chest to start right around the xiphoid process, which is only about 4-5inches above my belly button.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
That's it! I can't go into a public restroom without some creep comparing size and then telling me he's a member of Congress or something doing research. Now I have to concern myself with people staring at my waistline break.
I am going to invest heavily in 3 piece suits from now on.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Young guys are expected to wear their pants on or slightly above the hips as a matter of course. I'm 26; one of my good buddies is almost as concerned with sartorialism as I am. Because he has very traditional taste in menswear he wears his pants high. I'd say just below his belly button. Our others friends constantly give him a hard time about this.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
For me, dress slacks, khakis and cords are at the belly-button (or slightly below). Jeans are well below the belly-button...more on the hips.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
If your legs are short, say a 30" inseam, wearing trouser/slacks on the hips will make them look even shorter...

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
the belly button is a poor measuring point. because some have a high, and some have a low belly button.

pants, trousers, pantaloni, hossen, trews, were designed at the start to be worn at the true waist. thats just up over the hip bone where there should be an indent. teens and plumbers changed all that.

mother nature in all her wisdom created the pelvis for the purpose of holding up our trousers.

yea thats where mine are at.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
the belly button is a poor measuring point. because some have a high, and some have a low belly button.

pants, trousers, pantaloni, hossen, trews, were designed at the start to be worn at the true waist. thats just up over the hip bone where there should be an indent. teens and plumbers changed all that.

mother nature in all her wisdom created the pelvis for the purpose of holding up our trousers.

yea thats where mine are at.
I'm a teen, and I wear pants at my natural waist. Although, I wear my jeans on my hips because they're low rise....never see my crack unless your buying some from me. :pic12337:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.