Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm pretty sure that no one here is guilty of this, but I must vent. I have repeatedly noticed that many, many men go to work everyday wearing a tie but no jacket of any sort. It isn't as noticeable during the winter when most people have a coat of some sort on, but during warm weather it becomes painfully obvious. I wish that this would stop; wearing a tie without a jacket makes you look like a highschooler on his way to a dance. Or a frat guy going to a tailgate. I contend that a jacket is infinitely more important than a tie. I go as far as to say that one will ALWAYS be better off choosing a jacket before a tie. I don't mean to say that men shouldn't wear ties - to the contrary - but this disgusting habit of wearing ties without a jacket needs to stop. Whew. Sorry to rant.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I wish that this would stop; wearing a tie without a jacket makes you look like a highschooler on his way to a dance.
Amen! No reason to apologize, because I think many feel the same. Funny...my brother told his (then) highschool-aged son the very same thing when he was getting dressed for a homecoming dance. He made him wear a jacket with his tie. That lesson must have stuck, because I have never seen him wear a tie without a jacket.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I am guilty of this.

But it doesn't bother me over much.

·
Registered
298 Posts
In general, I agree with the principle.

However -

I work in a Federal Prison complex. Many, if not most, of the department heads go jacketless (but with tie) in the summer months. I agree that wearing a jacket would look better, but these guys are constantly on the go between three separate institutions. Federal Prisons are large pieces of property and you have to walk everywhere. In 95 degree heat and high humidity - I'm inclined to forgive.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
I wear that look frequently and don't think twice about it. I think a jacket is better dressed, but a tie looks nice to me anyway, with or without a jacket.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Louche,
I couldn't agree more! To go 1 step further, there is nothing worse than seeing someone wearing chinos or cotton pants (not wool pants) with a dress shirt and tie and that's it. I cannot stand this look and agree that they look like an immature high schooler. IMO, I would rather see them wearing a blazer or sport coat with no tie than just a tie. But wearing both is preferred.
That being said, there is nothing wrong with taking off your jacket at the office. Also with the case of PinkPlaidSocks working in a prison, I would say it is just fine too.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MediaMan,

You're correct - cotton pants make the sin even more egregious. In response to PinkSocks - I can be more lenient in such this case but must echo MediaMan in that a jacket must be worn to and from the office. I too, take my jacket of when walking around my immediate areas of the office (always put the jacket back on to go further away from my territory). I still think, however, that it would be better to go sans tie completely in such a situation. I would rather see guys going around without either a tie or a jacket than going around with only a tie. Part of the reason the tie-only look gives me heartburn is that it looks so half-assed. If you don't want to dress up the whole way that's great. But don't "tease"

Louche,
I couldn't agree more! To go 1 step further, there is nothing worse than seeing someone wearing chinos or cotton pants (not wool pants) with a dress shirt and tie and that's it. I cannot stand this look and agree that they look like an immature high schooler. IMO, I would rather see them wearing a blazer or sport coat with no tie than just a tie. But wearing both is preferred.
That being said, there is nothing wrong with taking off your jacket at the office. Also with the case of PinkPlaidSocks working in a prison, I would say it is just fine too.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Sitting in a suit jacket is quite uncomfortable, so I pretty much reserve wearing my suit jacket for commuting since I sit most of my day at work. Sometimes I wear my suit jacket to go for lunch, but eating with it on feels rather restrictive. I would prefer to eat without shirt-jacket sleeve wars and concerns that I am wrinkling my jacket in my chair. This means I have to walk through all these food courts without a jacket, and for that, I apologize.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
So I'm pretty sure that no one here is guilty of this, but I must vent. I have repeatedly noticed that many, many men go to work everyday wearing a tie but no jacket of any sort. It isn't as noticeable during the winter when most people have a coat of some sort on, but during warm weather it becomes painfully obvious. I wish that this would stop; wearing a tie without a jacket makes you look like a highschooler on his way to a dance. Or a frat guy going to a tailgate. I contend that a jacket is infinitely more important than a tie. I go as far as to say that one will ALWAYS be better off choosing a jacket before a tie. I don't mean to say that men shouldn't wear ties - to the contrary - but this disgusting habit of wearing ties without a jacket needs to stop. Whew. Sorry to rant.
+ 1 .

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Sitting in a suit jacket is quite uncomfortable, so I pretty much reserve wearing my suit jacket for commuting since I sit most of my day at work. Sometimes I wear my suit jacket to go for lunch, but eating with it on feels rather restrictive. I would prefer to eat without shirt-jacket sleeve wars and concerns that I am wrinkling my jacket in my chair. This means I have to walk through all these food courts without a jacket, and for that, I apologize.
Your suit jacket should not feel restrictive. A single-breasted jacket can be unbuttoned while seated to make things more comfortable. If the armholes in the jacket are cut too low, moving your arms will be more difficult. A proper fit (doesn't need to be perfect) should be comfortable in all situations.

·
Registered
302 Posts
While I interned on Capitol Hill in college, the other interns always thought it odd that after sitting around all day working in a shirt and tie (it was quite warm in the small spaces of the intern room), any time I left the office itself, especially to go deliver something to another office, I put my jacket on. It just seemed proper etiquette to be fully dressed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
^ I had this same experience this summer as an intern in Charlotte. In addition to the fact that I was the only one in a suit each day (see op's complaint), the other interns thought it odd that I would wear my suit jacket to lunch.

Now this may be driving off topic to a more generalized rant about today's "business dress" norms, but what about the aforementioned cotton chinos with a point collar dress shirt, no tie, and the seemingly obligatory white tie shirt sticking out...the highschooler hasn't even finished dressing for the dance!

I've made it a point this year at law school to wear only button down collars (and v-neck undershirts), when I am going without a tie and to always have an odd jacket with me, if not on me. I'm am pleased to have received more positive remarks than the "why are you dressed up today" line.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Your suit jacket should not feel restrictive. A single-breasted jacket can be unbuttoned while seated to make things more comfortable. If the armholes in the jacket are cut too low, moving your arms will be more difficult. A proper fit (doesn't need to be perfect) should be comfortable in all situations.
I cannot imagine sitting at my desk typing all day while wearing a suit jacket. Can you really get that kind of fit without going bespoke?

I've often wondered about this, since I see many women, if they happen to be wearing a suit, keeping on their jackets while at the desk. Why can't I do that? But gosh darnit, my jackets seem way too clunky to wear while sitting all day.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Kudos Louche! I always keep my jacket on while working, and I'm always moving around, my arms especially, but it just looks funny without it.

The only time I take it off is when I get to my car, so I can drive without worrying about getting severe wrinkes.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Keep in mind that the vast majority of men, if given their druthers, would wear neither coat nor tie; however, they work in workplace that often requires a tie. Most workplaces, even those that require a tie, do not require a jacket.

I worked for many years at a government agency as a Hearing Officer. Hearing Officers were required to wear a tie while holding a hearing, but you hardly ever saw a jacket. In fact, most of the guys just kept a tie at the office and put it on when they had a hearing scheduled and took it off upon leaving the hearing room.

My guess is that the guys you see wearing a tie without a jacket are wearing a tie because they have to, not because they want to; and they aren't wearing a jacket because they don't have to wear a jacket. I knew guys who wore a tie every day for years and didn't own more than one jacket, perhaps a navy blazer for those times when they had to wear one. Most men just don't care to wear a coat and tie; therefore, they generally won't wear more than the minimum required.

Cruiser

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I cannot imagine sitting at my desk typing all day while wearing a suit jacket. Can you really get that kind of fit without going bespoke?

I've often wondered about this, since I see many women, if they happen to be wearing a suit, keeping on their jackets while at the desk. Why can't I do that? But gosh darnit, my jackets seem way too clunky to wear while sitting all day.
You need to find the right brand for you. A softer shoulder can really help some people. Polo suits have a soft shoulder that are incredibly comfortable, even though they don't have the highest armhole.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.