Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soon to finish my first year on my current tour and will starting my second, and last, year in July.

I have been considering purchasing myself a "trophy" gift to commemorate my "sacrifice". I want something that will outlast me, so clothes are out. Budget is around $7500 - $10,000. I have some ideas, but would like to hear suggestions from thoughtful members of our community.

Current ideas:

Omega Speedmaster MOTM
Rolex GMT
Browning B25 O/U prefer 16 bore, but maybe a 12 bore

Other suggestions?

Cheers,

BSR

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Given the personal sacrifice(s) demanded by your present assignment, have you considered taking flight lessons to celebrate the end of your present tour? I am reminded of one of my favorite Bible verses, Isiah 40:31,

"Those who Hope in The Lord will renew their strength. They will Soar on Wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint!"

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Given the personal sacrifice(s) demanded by your present assignment, have you considered taking flight lessons to celebrate the end of your present tour? I am reminded of one of my favorite Bible verses, Isiah 40:31,

"Those who Hope in The Lord will renew their strength. They will Soar on Wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint!"

Just a thought.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't fly with amateurs. I don't even like to drive that much!

Cheers,

BSR

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I am soon to finish my first year on my current tour and will starting my second, and last, year in July.

I have been considering purchasing myself a "trophy" gift to commemorate my "sacrifice". I want something that will outlast me, so clothes are out. Budget is around $7500 - $10,000. I have some ideas, but would like to hear suggestions from thoughtful members of our community.

Current ideas:

Omega Speedmaster MOTM
Rolex GMT
Browning B25 O/U prefer 16 bore, but maybe a 12 bore

Other suggestions?

Cheers,

BSR
Sweet Sixteen is very cool and the perfect balance between 12 and 20 bores. But I have routinely gone through 400 rounds a week shooting trap. To get respectable with any firearm I have to shoot it, and I cannot afford, even reloading, to go with the sixteen. (Go 12)

I have a relationship with two superposed. Knowing the B25 and the superposed are kissing cousins I would have to go with the B25,....Browning custom house does remarkable work. And by all means have them do one unique custom touch just for you.

Mentioning the B25 makes me think of one of my favorite authors. Although his primary interests lay with older smoothbores.

"Michael McIntosh wrote about shotguns the way Tolstoy wrote about beautiful women, with a deep interest and admiration for every tiny aspect of their being, even their faults and vices."

https://www.shotgunlife.com/shotgun-lives/biographies-and-stories/remembering-michael.html

For anyone with even the slightest interests in smooth bore firearms, Michael McIntosh will instill the essence of the battle with "John Ringneck."

I have a Sea Dweller and for sentimental reasons it will remain with me until the end but I adore John Moses Browning.

My Best,

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
A gun makes a better heirloon than a watch, IMHO.

A decades-old watch just looks like an old watch; a decades (or even centuries) old gun looks like history, something with a story.

My cousin has my great-great-grandfather's Colt SA Army revolver (I think - I haven't handled it in many years). He was a US Marshall* for the Oklahoma Indian territories (Chocktaw nation I assume, given that I am 1/4 Chocktaw!), and the grips are notched with kills. A pretty interesting item when I was a kid! (when I used to see it at my grandpa's house).

(*note that our family history, like most peoples', is oral, so I make no special claims about its accuracy... probably the gun is *more* accurate than the stories!)

Anyway, I know my uncle - an historian and MAJOR gun nut - used to shoot it, so it's still serviceable. A century old watch? Probably much less fascinating to a kid obsessed with Zane Grey!

DH

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I had originally thought a watch, but as time passes (ha!), I am coming back to the idea of a shotgun.

From what I read in the UK shooting press, 16 bores are resurgent. As we are all aware, over the past decade, there has been a significant movement away from the 12 bore and toward smaller bores, particularly the 20 and 28. I know several quail plantations that won't allow guns to shoot the "brutish" 12, a view which I think is silly but one which underscores the trend. A 28 looks dinky to me, reminiscent of my childhood .410. I am reasonably fit and don't get tired toting a 12 around all day. Besides, on a driven shoot, I have a loader and he carries the gun for me. :)

Apparently, the pendulum is swinging back with people looking for something with the punch of the 12 but with less weight and more refinement. The 16 fits the bill completely. My earliest days in the field as a teenager were with my father's Browning Sweet 16, a gun he has had since 1968. My uncle has had the same model since 1970. That shotgun is the finest operating mechanical object I have ever handled, period. There is ZERO slop in the action, it is a mechanical work of art. The gas operated 12 bore Remington 1100 I have is nothing if not jangly and sloppy. It isn't even in the same league.

16 bore ammo is coming back on the UK market, although the selection is still limited when compared to the 12 and 20. Given the beating I give a gun, I prefer less investment in engraving. My personal taste does not care for substantial invest in embellishment, favoring a bare bones look.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/browning-b25-16-bore-shotgun-review.

Alright, y'all have convinced me, or at least given me the opportunity to convince myself of that which I already knew!

Cheers,

BSR

·
Site Creator
11,747 Posts
...I am reminded of one of my favorite Bible verses, Isiah 40:31,

"Those who Hope in The Lord will renew their strength. They will Soar on Wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint!" ...
Well that explains the SuperBowl win this year! :icon_saint7kg:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not a big stuff guy, so If I was in your shoes, I might opt for checking off a bucket list item. Climb Kilamanjaro, dive with great whites, that kind of thing.

If you are intent on something to hand down though, I would definitely agree that a gun is better than a watch.
Good suggestions. I am built more for G&Ts at sunset watching the lions play in the Mara than X-games. I have seen Kili up close and my son climbed it a few years ago. Not an easy climb and he is welcome to it!

I am very, very blessed that my life allows me to do bucket list trips with regularity. My big one at the moment is planning the Coast-to-Coast walk across the UK from the Irish Sea to the North Sea. About a 15-20 day walk across some of the most beautiful parts of Britain. However, at this moment it is difficult to get 3 weeks away from work.

Cheers,

BSR

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would go for the watch as it is easier to hand down and appeals to a wider population than a gun (although if someone were to leave me a Browning, I certainly wouldn't complain). A Patek or Rolex or even a Lange und Sohn (most likely used for the money you have) will retain most of its value and may even appreciate over the years if taken care of. (Other higher end watches don't do as well).

Just my two cents. I almost never shoot anymore so a good watch has much more value to me. That said, kids in their 20's use their phones, not watches.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Thank you for your service and I like that you can do bucket-list things. Memories, and sharing some with your son is cool.

My father is hoarding his guns and one rifle and won't let me have one until he passes. He never really took me shooting and I don't hunt, but I will be excited to get his Smith and Wesson, his Ruger and all the others. Plan to go to the range and even, if I get a shotgun, maybe a day of trap shooting. Parenthetically, on the Wide World of Sports, I saw Prince Charles trap shooting where the clays were thrown across the ground, and other vantage points, and thought that was cool.

I have a Rolex that I will give to my son in law, but it is the newer style bracelet. My uncle had one of the older ones and it was worn out by the time he passed. I would much prefer to pass down a gun than a watch.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would go for the watch as it is easier to hand down and appeals to a wider population than a gun (although if someone were to leave me a Browning, I certainly wouldn't complain). A Patek or Rolex or even a Lange und Sohn (most likely used for the money you have) will retain most of its value and may even appreciate over the years if taken care of. (Other higher end watches don't do as well).

Just my two cents. I almost never shoot anymore so a good watch has much more value to me. That said, kids in their 20's use their phones, not watches.
Thanks for the comment.

New Rolex stainless sports watches can be purchased for south of $10,000, at least in Bangkok. One can't find a Bat-Man or a Hulk for that price due to the ridiculous demand, but the black on black ceramic GMT and Subby are around $8K not counting the tax refund at the airport. I don't care much for precious metal in high end watches. Steel works for me and wears better over time, particularity with the bracelets.

A steel Jaeger Le Coultre grand reverso would also be nice. It is more refined and probably more my speed than the big Rolex models anyway. Every Chinese mid-level manager in my part of the world sports a Rolex. Good for them!

Holding value over time isn't a concern on this buy. I will be dead and someone else can make a plan.

Yes, guns are very resilient in the longevity department. Plus the older they get, the more character they seem to take on. An old watch, well...its an old watch unless you are the ex-boyfriend of Paul Newman's daughter.

Still favoring a gun at this point.

Cheers,

BSR

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
The idea of rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers as family heirlooms is certainly a part of my estate planning (Read, Last Will and Testament), but I also will be leaving a ring to one of the Grandsons. Designed by me (as well as the wife's ring set), I had them custom made by a manufacturing jeweler. The jeweler defined mine as a "gentleman's ring," but I've been wearing it as a wedding band. Hopefully, it will incite good memories for the recipient! Computer Computer keyboard Input device Drinkware Peripheral
Body jewelry Wedding ring Pre-engagement ring Gesture Finger

Please excuse the pajamas. It's just what I'm wearing this time of the morning. LOL. ;)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Batman, Hulk, Subby.....please make it stop. :fool: What has become of the Rolex brand!?
It has essentially become the go-to brand for those who know nothing about watches.

The marketing by their paint schemes is simply ridiculous. The blue/black GMT "Bat-Man" is absolutely impossible to find and sells for thousands more than the exact same watch with a less marketable paint scheme.

IMO, the Omega Speedmaster MOTM is just as good a watch and it has the advantage of being a chronograph. One can pick up a new grey market Omega for just north of $3,000.

Cheers,

BSR

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
The blue/black GMT "Bat-Man" is absolutely impossible to find and sells for thousands more than the exact same watch with a less marketable paint scheme.
Not exactly true. The GMT BLNR is not that hard to come across in the US, depending on where you are. You may have to wait a couple months to get one new from an AD, in which case it's $500 more than the all-black version. I understand that supply of the SS sport models is much tighter in other parts of the world.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.