Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1- What brands make chromexcel boots? I only know about Carmina and the chromexcel boots they ha were too long for my liking.

2-Which brands of classy shoes make the most comfortable footwear in your experience? My good old Timberlands were very comfortable but then they were not classy. The soles on the pair of CS boots I have feel very stiff. I don't know if that will get better with time.

3-Which are the lasts that are not elongated and so don't leave a lot of space in front of the toes. The 234 last leaves about half an inch in front of my toes.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
“Classy” seems to be a recurring theme with you.

As for #1, chromexcel is produced by Horween as used by quite a few shoe makers. Oak Street Bootmakers has a nice selection.

As for #2 and #3, I’m afraid the questions are somewhat incoherent so I won’t attempt an answer.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
1- What brands make chromexcel boots? I only know about Carmina and the chromexcel boots they ha were too long for my liking.

2-Which brands of classy shoes make the most comfortable footwear in your experience? My good old Timberlands were very comfortable but then they were not classy. The soles on the pair of CS boots I have feel very stiff. I don't know if that will get better with time.

3-Which are the lasts that are not elongated and so don't leave a lot of space in front of the toes. The 234 last leaves about half an inch in front of my toes.
I don't have any chromexcel boots so can't comment on that. If you like Timberlands then I would suggest a rubber sole on your dress boots. They are a bit less dressy but unless you want to wear them with a suit I wouldn't worry about it. Regarding lasts - I would not worry about how much space is in front of your toes. Assuming it is the characteristic of the last and not a sizing issue that space doesn't affect the fit. Now, if you like a very rounded toe then go for it but I do think that makes the boot more casual.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts

Say Oscar, I thought you were going to get those Beckett Simonon boots I showed you!? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
107 Posts
The only Horween CXL boots I have are from Allen Edmond. And I love them. They're pretty casual so I mainly wear them with jeans, especially in the Fall and Winter and they're very comfortable. I can't speak about lasts since I don't know a lot about them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only Horween CXL boots I have are from Allen Edmond. And I love them. They're pretty casual so I mainly wear them with jeans, especially in the Fall and Winter and they're very comfortable. I can't speak about lasts since I don't know a lot about them.
I don't have any chromexcel boots so can't comment on that. If you like Timberlands then I would suggest a rubber sole on your dress boots. They are a bit less dressy but unless you want to wear them with a suit I wouldn't worry about it. Regarding lasts - I would not worry about how much space is in front of your toes. Assuming it is the characteristic of the last and not a sizing issue that space doesn't affect the fit. Now, if you like a very rounded toe then go for it but I do think that makes the boot more casual.
That's what I thought that dressy boots tend to have elongated toes. Although this pair by Carlos santos seems to strike a balance.

About comfort, the soles on Timberlands are very elastic however the rubber soles on Carlos Santos ones are very stiff. It's almost like walking barefoot on hardwood.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
With question #1 answered quite nicely in several earlier posts, I will concentrate on your second question and offer a brief opinion regarding question #3.

Q#2. Brands that offer classy designs and the best comfort on the foot (assuming proper sizing of the footwear):
Lucchese
Alden
Allen Edmonds
SAS

Q#3. This question is virtually unanswerable, as written. It all depends on the brand you are considering.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Red Wing? I'm actually surprised that nobody named the brand

These are RedWings - their "most refined boot." I suppose the OP might find these acceptable. The thing about most RedWings is they are distinctly a work boot and a far cry from most boots made out of Horween Chromexel leather which is what the original query is considering.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here in Italy there's a small (but getting bigger) group of aficionados, they all started with the work boots but I know a couple people that purchased more refined models and they are very happy with them.
Can't give further help cause I usually buy "local"

Edit : about the last posted pair, I find them too heavily "brogued" on the point, holes look larger than usual. The rest is nice, they give me a "late '800" feel

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Here in Italy there's a small (but getting bigger) group of aficionados, they all started with the work boots but I know a couple people that purchased more refined models and they are very happy with them.
Can't give further help cause I usually buy "local"

Edit : about the last posted pair, I find them too heavily "brogued" on the point, holes look larger than usual. The rest is nice, they give me a "late '800" feel
They are Horween Chromexcel - and although not as elegant as some boots they have a Dainite sole I am guessing that they are more to what the OP may be looking for. I would definitely wear them since I like the Cleverley toe. However, for my own taste I would prefer something like this:

These are G and G and I own a pair in a different color. More subtle brogueing and very elegant in my not so humble opinion!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.