Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
I have no knowledge of this tailor, but, without wishing to be a snob, I have never, ever seen a "good" Hong-Kong suit - and I have seen many! The same goes for Thailand - only more so.
As many forumites know, I have been extremely happy with the many garments W.W. Chan of Kowloon has fabricated for me, but perhaps I simply lack your more refined sensibility.

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
Last time I asked, starting prices for a two-piece suit from Vitale Barberis Canonico Super 120s or 130s were about $1,100. Around $1,500 for some of the better British wool cloths. Jackets from the better British fabric makers--Holland & Sherry, Porter & Harding, Scabal, Harrisons, Lesser, etc.--usually run between $900 and $1,000 these days.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have no knowledge of W.W. Chan either and it may be, therefore, that JLibourel has somehow unearthed a satisfactory Hong-Kong tailor. All I know is that I have friends and colleagues who, over the last 25 years, have shown me their H-K purchases and they were wanting.

Now, more importantly, what is it precisely that makes you happy with W.W. Chan's wares? I take it, for example, that its coats are not "glued" and that they feature more hand-stitching than is usual? I'm interested to know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Biemonte Wongs

Hi

I've had about 8 suits & numerous shirts made by Biemonte Wongs (Just Wongs Tailor until about 8 years ago) - not the cheapest tailor in Hong Kong, but definately one of the best. Still hand stitching, unlike most of the competition who use machines.

Highly recommended!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
To date, Biemonte Wong has not been implicated in the plot to assassinate President Lincoln. Biemonte Wong was also not raised by wolves.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have no knowledge of this tailor, but, without wishing to be a snob, I have never, ever seen a "good" Hong-Kong suit - and I have seen many! The same goes for Thailand - only more so.
Whilst one hesitates to call you a "snob" to use your own descriptor, that assertion is frankly a nonsense. I cannot be sure what your basis of comparison is but Chan, Yao and Y William Yu all produce excellent suits with superb workmanship. They are certainly more accommodating in terms of style etc and therefore customer views can be better seen than some Saville Row Houses where they follow a style (albeit known to their discerning clients) and pay but lip service to customer preference.

To answer the OP - no I suspect that this is just a shop front for one of the Asian (or even native) sweatshops which is to be avoided. As any tourist place there are those who would relieve saps of their money and no shortage of saps willing to be so relieved.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have no knowledge of W.W. Chan either and it may be, therefore, that JLibourel has somehow unearthed a satisfactory Hong-Kong tailor. All I know is that I have friends and colleagues who, over the last 25 years, have shown me their H-K purchases and they were wanting.

Now, more importantly, what is it precisely that makes you happy with W.W. Chan's wares? I take it, for example, that its coats are not "glued" and that they feature more hand-stitching than is usual? I'm interested to know.
If you have no knowledge of Chan then I would aver that you consideration is far from complete to say the very least leading to the claim being fatally flawed. You have also not justified the claim.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Er, what's up, Orsini? Operating on the principle that you should only say positive things about someone?
At the time I stated the reply, the thread had no replies and I did not want the OP to feel left out.

These statements are also difficult to refute, which adds to their value greatly I think...

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Even a Blind Hog Finds an Acorn Sometimes

While Orsini® finds the prospect of getting satisfaction from a mail-order vendor that is 7,254 statute miles away daunting, several august observers have done so: Will, I believe, deals with tailors in that neck of the woods regularly.

While most of us are aware of the well documented baby formula/dog food/killer auto tires/poison drywall horror stories, this "screw the customer" approach is not always the case: a number of lines of extremely excellent motor yachts are produced in PRC and ROC, for instance.

None of the personal involved in the manufacture of these motor yachts are known to have been raised by wolves...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.