Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone would recommended a better source of buying a similar suit to this one from J Crew
https://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Me...ssshirts/cottonsuiting/PRDOVR~14959/14959.jsp

J crew suits actually fit me well, and usually they do not require any alternations. But I have to admit, that the material as of late has not been really good.

I am mainly looking for suits to wear during the spring and summer (which is especially hot 90s-100s).

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It depends if you are going for the weight or the cut. That suit (as shown) looks very slim fit and fashion forward in Khaki, it wont look anything like that in Navy if you are a size 44 because the model looks like a 40 long and for reasons that escape me he has rolled the cuffs back ! Anyway..

For that weight and around that price I would look at Lands End although the cut wont be that trim most likely. I think they will have their spring stuff out shortly and you may find a cotton suit there although bear in mind its really summer weight stuff and probably not that durable.

I have to admit I do like the look of a khaki suit but its a fashion item that may not have shelf life after 2008.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Cotton suits have been around forever. How will it 'not have shelf life' past 2008?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with deanayer, the suit looks good, but I am hesitant of ordering a suit without trying it on first (it is online only item).

I wear 42R (33 waist) and I don't mind the summer weight material.
Where I live, it get extremely hot during the summer. I do have two seersucker suits which I wear to class (I wish I can show you the students reactions :icon_smile_big:). But I am looking to expand my spring/summer suits.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Cotton suits have been around forever. How will it 'not have shelf life' past 2008?
Agreed! Khaki cotton suits are standard southern fare. Granted the particular cut (narrow lapels, etc.) on this particular suit is a bit trendy.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I've heard that in person J.Crew's suits aren't nearly as slim (or natural shouldered) as they appear.
This would hold true with my own Crew experiences of their cloths looking far better, and less "broken in" in the catalogs.
I'm not sure I like the stiching on the lapels either...

If the cut doesn't bother you, there are many positive reviews of Brook's Brookscool suits over in the trad forum (though they may still be be a cotton/poly blend, at least an older one I had was).

I see what deanyer is saying, though cotton khaki suits (like madras shorts) are an item I certainly hope would be timeless, when they experience a sudden rush of popularity one wants to avoid them as to not appear trendy or passe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.