Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Site Creator
11,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a bit of this movie on TV today. Never heard of it, but looks like some potential since it's the story of one tailcoat and four "owners"! Great stars. Anyone heard of it?

Tales of Manhattan is a 1942 black-and-white anthology film directed by Julien Duvivier.

The stories follow a black formal tailcoat as it goes from owner to owner, in four otherwise unconnected stories.

The first is a love triangle between Charles Boyer, Thomas Mitchell, and Rita Hayworth. Boyer plays an actor who gives his finest performance when he's shot while wearing the jacket.

The second tale is a comic story featuring Ginger Rogers who finds a romantic love letter in her future husband's jacket. Her boyfriend (Cesar Romero) enlists his best man (Henry Fonda) to help bail him out. Things don't go as expected when Rogers becomes attracted to Fonda and dumps her boyfriend.

The third tale stars Charles Laughton. He plays a poor but brilliant musician whose one big chance at fame and recognition is in jeopardy. While he attempts to conduct the small jacket rips and the audience erupts with laughter. But he nevertheless triumphs.

The fourth story stars Edward G. Robinson as an alcoholic bum who takes a last shot at life by borrowing the tailcoat to attend his 25th college reunion. The lawyer tries to convince his former classmates that he is successful, but ultimately decides to admit that he is a bum. He is offered a good job, and is back on the road to respectability

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I barely remember seeing it a long time ago. The Charles Laughton scene is what I remember. My brother has every B&W film on tape, it seems. He loves the 30's and 40's.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I just saw a bit of this movie on TV today. Never heard of it, but looks like some potential since it's the story of one tailcoat and four "owners"! Great stars. Anyone heard of it?

Tales of Manhattan is a 1942 black-and-white anthology film directed by Julien Duvivier.

The stories follow a black formal tailcoat as it goes from owner to owner, in four otherwise unconnected stories.

The first is a love triangle between Charles Boyer, Thomas Mitchell, and Rita Hayworth. Boyer plays an actor who gives his finest performance when he's shot while wearing the jacket.

The second tale is a comic story featuring Ginger Rogers who finds a romantic love letter in her future husband's jacket. Her boyfriend (Cesar Romero) enlists his best man (Henry Fonda) to help bail him out. Things don't go as expected when Rogers becomes attracted to Fonda and dumps her boyfriend.

The third tale stars Charles Laughton. He plays a poor but brilliant musician whose one big chance at fame and recognition is in jeopardy. While he attempts to conduct the small jacket rips and the audience erupts with laughter. But he nevertheless triumphs.

The fourth story stars Edward G. Robinson as an alcoholic bum who takes a last shot at life by borrowing the tailcoat to attend his 25th college reunion. The lawyer tries to convince his former classmates that he is successful, but ultimately decides to admit that he is a bum. He is offered a good job, and is back on the road to respectability
I seem to recall that it ended up in the posession of an impoverished balck congregation...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.