Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm a 38 reg suit coat, but I have a 30 waist for pants. Most suits come with 32 waist pants with a 38 jacket. Is it possible to get a pair of pants tailored that much in the waist? :confused:
I hate you.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm a 38 reg suit coat, but I have a 30 waist for pants. Most suits come with 32 waist pants with a 38 jacket. Is it possible to get a pair of pants tailored that much in the waist? :confused:
2" isn't that much. When I was in my twenties I wore the same waist as you. I'm still a 38 reg but moved up to a 31" waist. Not that bad for 50 though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Get a 1818 Regent suit from BB. It comes with a 7" drop. You can get a tailor to take it the rest of the way. I think 2" should be fine as well. I have a 9" drop with a 38" chest and the tailor turned a 32" into a 30" without too much trouble.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I am sort of in the same boat as you. My waist is somewhere between a 30 and a 31 and my suit size is either a 38R or 37R, all depending on brand and time of year (I run a ton in the summer).
Either way, yes 2 inches can be altered in the waist. I wouldn't push it more than that though. However, there are plenty of suits with 7 inch drops. I believe the fitzgeralds and regents from BB have 7 inch drops. The Ben Sherman's at Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack also have a 7 inch drops. I have one of these and I think they are a very under-rated suit. It is partially canvassed and is somewhat naturally slim, but not over the top.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Ralph

RL Black Label has a 7" drop I believe. They are cut quite trim to begin with as well and the sizes marked seem to be larger than the actual sizes IMO. Fantastic suits if you can find one on discount. They are built like tanks and although they have a modern edge, I think you could get a few good years of use out of one.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RL Black Label has a 7" drop I believe. They are cut quite trim to begin with as well and the sizes marked seem to be larger than the actual sizes IMO. Fantastic suits if you can find one on discount. They are built like tanks and although they have a modern edge, I think you could get a few good years of use out of one.
I like Black Label styling, but I would have to find one on deep discount. I'm going shopping Jan 2 in Minneapolis so I'll check out the BB store there and see what Nordstrom has for me...anongst other stores.

·
Registered
262 Posts
wow

"As mentioned above, certainly. I have to get 40R for the shoulders and have the 34 waist pants that come with them taken-in to 30."

Wow....does he take them up somewhere besides the back? I'd think taking the whole 4" out there would put the rear pockets together.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
"As mentioned above, certainly. I have to get 40R for the shoulders and have the 34 waist pants that come with them taken-in to 30."

Wow....does he take them up somewhere besides the back? I'd think taking the whole 4" out there would put the rear pockets together.
Some out of the crotch, some out of the legs. Until I can afford MTM or find a source for suit separates, this is why I prefer sportcoats/odd trousers.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
some retailers stock athletic cut suits that means a 8" drop.

to better understand how alterations are done read two threads.

click on search and ask for either thread.

"to alter trousers"

"most common jacket alterations"

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm a 10-inch drop (44L to 34" waist) and have completely switched over to MTM. Suit seperates were my only other alternative and I was not happy with that. I tried the "athletic" cut option and noticed that the designers must assume everyone needing that size must have skinny thighs. I am a cyclist so the athletic cut suits were far too tight in the legs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.