Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I came across a great J. Press sportcoart on clearance, but my usual 40-short is out-of-stock. I was thinking of ordering the 41-short, but was curious about how much bigger that might be? Would I be better off ordering a 39-regular? I rang the J. Press store in New York City, but the chap wasn't too helpeful. He even told me it couldn't be returned if I bought it and it didn't fit.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just picked this up on clearance:

It was only $277 (not including shipping-and-handling), which is a fairly decent price.

I'm hoping it won't be terribly difficult to tailor down to a 40-short.

·
Vendor
1,736 Posts
Reducing a 41 to a 40 should be very easy. It is almost always easier to take something in rather than to let something out. With the passage of time you may need more room and if you start with a 39 there will be very little outlet after you have let it out to size 40.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
Chipp2.com

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
From my experinece, getting 42 tailored to 40 is fine, getting 38 altered to fit 40 is not.

What makes it easier, is that the jacket is short; comparing fit, excluding the sleeve, they may be so little difference between 41 and 40. As you are getting a sportscoat rather then suit, even if there was some difference in the fit, it will not be a major issue.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Reducing a 41 to a 40 should be very easy. It is almost always easier to take something in rather than to let something out. With the passage of time you may need more room and if you start with a 39 there will be very little outlet after you have let it out to size 40.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
Chipp2.com
Is this general advice for all of us that wear in between sizes? As a 39R, I find that all of the great deals described by AAAC members seem to be from sources with only even (38, 40, 42 inch) availability. Of course, the actual measurements are the most important.

·
Vendor
1,736 Posts
Is this general advice for all of us that wear in between sizes? As a 39R, I find that all of the great deals described by AAAC members seem to be from sources with only even (38, 40, 42 inch) availability. Of course, the actual measurements are the most important.
Yes! In the "lions share" of cases I would recommend all odd sizers to opt for the larger size when ordering from sources that only offer even sizes.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.