Men's Clothing Forums banner

$40,000 Eton Diamond Shirt

13K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  TheGuyIsBack 
#1 ·
This makes me a sad panda.

Put that up there with cat-crap coffee and as some of the world's most absurd ridiculously expensive items.

#4 ·
Must I remind you of the Anderson & Sheppard "Luxury" fabrics presented a couple years ago?

Super 150's wools spun with pure gold, lapis, and yes diamonds into the cloth?

As for the Kopi Luwak (cat crap coffee) I'll stick with my morning Lobster Cappucino at Le Bournadin.

Yeah, woo hoo for excess. And you thought vicuna was a luxury...

#10 ·
Smells like a marketing ploy to me. The only reason anyone would buy this shirt is to be able to brag about their $40,000 shirt. Seems kind of redundant to me...

That said, I kind of want one... pair it with a nice black suit, shoes made out of some endangered species, no tie and call it a day. :pic12337:

#12 · (Edited)
A poorly executed gimick!

From the website, it seems most of the value of the shirt derives from the "seven diamomnds that adorn the studs and cufflinks".

Yout too could have such a shirt, all you need is set of $40,000 diamond cufflinks and studs. Not a difficult proposition.

A true diamond shirt, however, should at least have the front panel covered in diamonds in toto. To make such a shirt would not only cost more than $40,000, but would require significant handwork attaching each diamond to the shirt.

A shirt with just the collars and cuffs covered with diamonds could be offered in a diffusion line.

One would hope also, that such a shirt be made not according to a European fashion, but more in like with some ancient garnment.

It has been done with pearls, why not with diamonds.

#13 ·
https://www.etondiamondshirt.com/

The money raised is going to Great Ormond Street Hospital (a children's hospital) in Bloomsbury, London.

The approx value of the shirt is £20k, almost $30k. Eton were doing it to celebrate 80 year of shirt making.
That's very considerate of them and I can appreciate that aspect, but I don't know how many people are actually going to buy one.

#15 ·
A few notes -

1) The first comment on the Flickr page is from my friend Duane - hardly a sartorialist, and we haven't spoken since he suggested that Republicans want to put gays in concentration camps, but I think his comment was remarkably accurate.

2) One can get Kopi Luwak, and many other, better, less expensive coffes, from www.jmartinezfinecoffees. Supporting an Atlanta business. :)

3) If you actually have any interest in trying Renova at all, it's marked down substantially: https://www.wellbeingworldusa.com/template3.asp

Personally, I like the Cottonelle kind that comes in the plastic box and is pre-moistened.

#19 ·
They are only going to make one and it has already been won. They are probably in the process of making the shirt for the individual.
Ah, my mistake. I didn't even look at the website before saying that -- that'll teach me!

#22 ·
Conspicuous consumption has always been part of the human fabric. Last weekends Wall Street Journal had a piece about costly items- the lead to the piece was a $43,000 suit being made by Brioni. Brioni says they have sold 30 suite. Any AAAC members among the buyers?
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com
I wonder which fabric they used for that particular suit.

#23 ·
Last weekends Wall Street Journal had a piece about costly items- the lead to the piece was a $43,000 suit being made by Brioni. Brioni says they have sold 30 suite. Any AAAC members among the buyers?
Rather go to Richard Anderson and get a blazer with guanasena (spelling?) and baby cashmere with bespoke gold buttons for £14k. Then about £3k on super 250's trousers, £7.5k on John Lobb bespoke croc shoes and £500 on the matching belt. With the remaing £5k, get Alex to make me some shirts

#24 ·
Rather go to Richard Anderson and get a blazer with guanasena (spelling?) and baby cashmere with bespoke gold buttons for £14k. Then about £3k on super 250's trousers, £7.5k on John Lobb bespoke croc shoes and £500 on the matching belt. With the remaing £5k, get Alex to make me some shirts
That guanashina does sound promising. I've read somehwere that a fabric made of a combination with platinum thread is in the making.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.