Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forum for the answers to my question, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for. I know this topic has been discussed numerous times, but I thought I'd ask for your inputs on my specific situation.

My brother is getting married this weekend and I was wondering what to wear. The venue is a nice church in Birmingham, AL, and the wedding is set for 4:30 PM with reception to immediately follow.

I have heard before that dark suits are not recommended for daytime weddings, but my favorite suit just so happens to be a solid navy. Would this be inappropriate for this wedding, or is it late enough in the day to warrant a dark suit?

Also, what tie patterns are acceptable at a wedding? Is it best to go with something very conservative, like simple stripes or a solid tie? Or am I o.k. to go with a print tie?

Please offer suggestions; I appreciate any help I can get!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I'm up late, doing a lot of posting, so I'll throw in my two cents...

If you're in the wedding party, you should coordinate with the groom. If you're going to be in pictures as part of the groom's family, I'd run your final decision by the bride and groom as a courtesy.

I think a navy suit is fine for an afternoon wedding, and I'd err on the side of conservatism with the tie. A solid color tie that matches the theme of the wedding might be a bit too matchy (again, not if you're in the wedding party). But a stripe that includes that color might be nice.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
The suit is fine - and why not a flamboyant tie for a joyous occasion?

I don't agree that you should have to ask anyone , if by this time no one has said anything then it is highly unlikely that they had any plans to exercise this particular piece of control freakery.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The suit is fine - and why not a flamboyant tie for a joyous occasion?

I don't agree that you should have to ask anyone , if by this time no one has said anything then it is highly unlikely that they had any plans to exercise this particular piece of control freakery.
+1. If there is no dress code on the invitation, you should not need to seek permission to wear a dark lounge suit.

W_B

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Your navy solid will be fine. Personally, I would go conservative with the tie. A wedding tie would be nice but you don't really have time for that. You want to be careful not to upstage the groom or wedding party so I would call the hostess and ask what is OK to wear -- and remember, whatever the hostess says, goes. Please note that in the USA, calling the hostess to verify the dress code is always appropriate and is proper etiquette.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
The best ties for weddings are silver. Simple woven patterns, grenadine, or solid (not satin) are appropriate. You could also wear a similar navy blue tie to match your suit. Anything else I think would stand out too much.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The best ties for weddings are silver. Simple woven patterns, grenadine, or solid (not satin) are appropriate. You could also wear a similar navy blue tie to match your suit. Anything else I think would stand out too much.
Agreed, except that a navy blue tie with a navy blue suit might be too, er, navy blue. Therefore, make sure that the navy blue tie has a contrasting color to mitigate its uniformity: a bit of red, lighter blue, silver, or white.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.