Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's about time I contribute something. Consider this a PSA :icon_smile_big:

Hickey Style website is having a semi-annual sale right now, with $1,200 suits (right, dubious MSRP, I know) on sale for $360. However, some items are "final sale" which means no returns. The good news is that Amazon is also selling these for Hickey, at $60 less and you can use Amazon's return policy as insurance. So, I ordered one from Amazon last week. It came today, and... it is gorgeous. Navy chalk stripe, 2 button notch lapel, flat front pants. To give some of you picky affluent gents an opportunity for early exit from this discussion -

Here is what it doesn't have:
Pick stitching
Working buttonhole cuffs
Canvas

But look what it does have:
Beautiful fabric - handsome color, medium weight, subtle sheen, nice drape
Ticket pocket
Side vents
Slim silhouette
Flat front pants
Narrow-ish lapels
Higher-ish, smaller armholes
7 inch trouser drop
(yes, it is fused)
Made in USA!

In short, it seems to be a terrific value on a very good modern suit. Classic, conservative fabric with subtle details and clean lines that update it for the youthful stylish man. I consider it more than sufficient for business or professional attire. A good analogue would be the BB Regent - similar fit, flat front pants, lapels, vents, etc. Actually, the sizing and fit are maybe identical to the Regent. I am an almost universal 41R jacket/33 waist. In the Regent suits, I wear a 42R perfectly. Same here - I ordered 42R, and the shoulders, chest, sleeve length, and jacket length fit just like a standard 41, but a touch slimmer through the body. Note the 7 inch trouser drop - it shipped with 35W flat front pants, and they also fit slim. Remember, I am typically a 33, and may only have to take in the actual waistband an inch or so; the seat, rise, thighs, etc. fit superbly.

What else is there to say? I'll try to post pics tonight. Come on guys, indulge yourselves with a new suit :cool:

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001INDEJM

·
Registered
41 Posts
I purchased the Hickey topcoat for $297 from Amazon (MSRP $1,200, but dubious, yes)...even so, it's a great deal, as it's a beautiful topcoat...I usually wear a 43 suit, but sized up to a 44 given the "slim" fit, and it fits perfect....it is a true topcoat in the sense that it is thin and light, so not for the dead of winter (at least up here), but a great coat for a majority of the year.

·
Site Creator
11,752 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
My wife got me the nrown plaid one for about $400 at the beginning of the month...nice suit at a decent price...it really does run slim...I'm a 36-37R and got a 38, had to have the pants/crotch/thoughs let out a bit but the jacket (sleeves aside) was perfect...I got a 38R.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I think the Hickey stuff is very nice. In fact, I prefer it to the mainline Hickey Freeman, which I find to be very full in cut, and somewhat boxy. I am fairly sure the suits are half-canvassed, or maybe even fused, but the fabrics and styling are very nice. The one thing that pisses me off is the placement of this pot leaf on their clothing. There are some pieces that I would have purchased had it not been for the pot leaf insignia. I cannot believe this sells clothing. Maybe in the early 90s when slackerdom was at its peak, but now? Their OCBD are a well-kept secret, up there with Black Fleece IMO.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I love their OCBD, was able to get one at Century 21 for about $40...but it was too big so now someone on the Thrift Exchange is the proud owner.

As for the pot leaf, it is a bit silly. I bought their navy blazer last year at a sample sale in NYC, patch pockets, 3 button, 2 vent, 1/2 lined...great coat. I had all of the buttons replaced with nice navy ones for about $25.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please remember:

If it's Hickey Freeman go to their site through this banner on Ask Andy which helps support this site:

on this page
Ask Andy Selected Merchants for Menswear, Shoes, and Grooming

or the Gift Guide:

And if it's Amazon.com go to their site through the banners on the Home Page or Ask Andy Selected Merchants for Menswear, Shoes, and Grooming
Thanks Andy, I forgot to mention that. I tried to go through the banner and apply it at hickeystyle.com, but it is a separate website and I couldn't make it work. The problem may very well be incompetence on my part :rolleyes:. Hope to post pics very soon if I can get my new camera linked up to the Mac.

·
Registered
33 Posts
in the dark

I love their OCBD, was able to get one at Century 21 for about $40...but it was too big so now someone on the Thrift Exchange is the proud owner.

As for the pot leaf, it is a bit silly. I bought their navy blazer last year at a sample sale in NYC, patch pockets, 3 button, 2 vent, 1/2 lined...great coat. I had all of the buttons replaced with nice navy ones for about $25.
Whats OCBD?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On my computer, at least, the suit appears to be black. Is it more obviously navy in person? It's a smart looking suit, regardless.
It is navy. I wanted to get the pics up ASAP, so didn't take time to futz with the camera settings. It was a new camera - literally took it out of the box to snap these photos.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
It is best to take pictures of suits -- or any clothing -- in natural light, as proven . I plan to do that once I get a tripod for my good camera.

The suit looks good. It would be helpful to have some full length shots so we can judge the hem length and all, but you appear to have a perfect amount of cuff showing.

·
Registered
542 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.