Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 25 year British guy who's always been terrified of the wardrobe.

I have skinny arms (not muscled), a chubby waist, love handles / muffin top sides, quite fat thighs. Would truly appreciate your help on weekend / dates clothes.

I like the smart casual, 'Ryan Gosling', sophisticated look. I hate sportswear and overly casual laid back clothes. Open to suggestions for new glasses too, or anything else.

Please kindly look at my pictures (link below) and share your special ideas - be harsh and honest!
(no spaces)

Thank you so much for your time :)

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Whoa! All that shouting in the title startled me. As for The OP's request for some tough love feedback, the right wardrobe cannot sole all ills. Prior to redoing/upgrading your wardrobe try eliminating the bad carbs and sugars from your diet and get to a gym. After you have slimmed down and toned up for a month or so, you will make a much better rack on which to display new clothes! Good luck in your quest. ;)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
OP -- Investigate and study classic -- including American trad -- styling, which allows for more loose fitting clothing that is somewhat forgiving and tends to flatter men of suboptimal shapes and sizes. Don sport coats whenever possible. For more casual wear consider camp and Hawaiian shirts, or button-up shirts designed to be untucked, and avoid knit golf style shirts.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Whoa! All that shouting in the title startled me. As for The OP's request for some tough love feedback, the right wardrobe cannot sole all ills. Prior to redoing/upgrading your wardrobe try eliminating the bad carbs and sugars from your diet and get to a gym. After you have slimmed down and toned up for a month or so, you will make a much better rack on which to display new clothes! Good luck in your quest. ;)
Exactly this. It's not the clothes that make the 'Ryan Gosling' look. That should be the takeaway point.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Welcome. Since you said be harsh and honest and since you brought up your physical appearance, I agree with Eagle above, at 25, both for appearance - but even more so for health reasons - adjust your diet and exercise to reduce your extra weight and build up some more muscle.

As to glasses, nothing helps more than going to a frame store with an honest friend or family member for good feedback. Looking at your face shape and your thick hair leads me in one of two directions. One, try on a classic black frame, like these (that Walter Cronkite used to wear):

Glasses Goggles Vision care Sunglasses Eyewear

It's a strong "I'm wearing glasses" look that might look great with your hair and face or not - you'll know immediately.

Or, two, go wire frames or wireless so that the glasses, overall, disappear.

Glasses Vision care Eye Optometry Eye glass accessory
Water Twig Eyewear Electricity Art

As to clothes, I'm not sure what you mean by "I hate sportswear" (or do you mean, you don't want to wear sweats, etc., in non-althetic situations - if so, good for you) or what you mean by "the smart, casual Ryan Gosling" look.

I Googled Ryan Gosling and it looks like he dresses pretty much straight down the middle of the fairway for a modern Hollywood star. A look you could replicate easily from J.Crew, Brooks Brothers (today, Brooks is much more middle-of-the-fairway than "old school" conservative), Banana Republic and several other mid-priced brands. You can, also, with some work, find pretty good versions of those clothes at budget brands like Uniqlo and Old Navy.

That said, for health and appearance reasons, you should, at your age (check with a doctor if you have any health issues before starting a new work-out regime), get in better shape as you'll look and feel better and that will be reflected in a more positive and confident attitude (which, since you mentioned dating, women will like).

When you do start to build your new wardrobe - go slowly, buy a few things at first to learn what works for you (don't buy a ton of clothes right away) and - and this is key - even if the clothes are very modestly priced, spend the money to have them well tailored. Modestly priced clothes that are well tailored look much better than ill-fitted expensive clothes.

Good luck (hope you didn't troll me, you seem sincere).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Take the advice from the forum members, there's a lot of wisdom and knowledge here, and search for threads about how to start a wardrobe. You are basically saying, "I need new clothes, where do I start?" There are as many answers to that as there are stars in the sky, but you will find the best advice in past discussions. Good luck with it, it's an exciting journey and don't hesitate to keep posting pics! Someone posted about diet earlier, and although this is not a nutrition forum, he made valid points (I am on a weight loss journey, myself.)

·
37,088 Posts
^^^LOL,
I too am on a never ending diet (but do cheat a bit on weekends). At this point, I have far too much invested in my wardrobe to allow myself to grow out of things and have to start buying larger sizes! Look at your wardrobe as just one more incentive for losing or perhaps just maintaining your weight. :fool: ;)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
^^^LOL,
I too am on a never ending diet (but do cheat a bit on weekends). At this point, I have far too much invested in my wardrobe to allow myself to grow out of things and have to start buying larger sizes! Look at your wardrobe as just one more incentive for losing or perhaps just maintaining your weight. :fool: ;)
Ah yes - the never ending diet. I agree that the OP should consider a bit of work on the body first. Even 10 pounds off the midsection would be a big improvement.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
As one of the poster of several who noted working on his weight (which he brought up) would help, I thought the topic was handled thoughtfully and respectfully. Also, others and I did give him clothing and eyeglasses guidance. No one's post was snarky and many offered encouragement from their own experiences. Broad answers, a bit of wandering is part of these forums. I went back and reread the thread and, IMHO, it was all handled sincerely and nicely with good intent by all.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As one of the poster of several who noted working on his weight (which he brought up) would help, I thought the topic was handled thoughtfully and respectfully. Also, others and I did give him clothing and eyeglasses guidance. No one's post was snarky and many offered encouragement from their own experiences. Broad answers, a bit of wandering is part of these forums. I went back and reread the thread and, IMHO, it was all handled sincerely and nicely with good intent by all.
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound so curt, and I acknowledge that the posts were respectful. That said, the guy knows he has a fitness issue for crying out loud. Telling a person something he already knows is not being helpful and is actually condescending. The only post, aside from yours, that actually responded to his question was my own. I find this disappointing because I think our members have the knowledge to actually be helpful.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Not obese paunchy guy asks for help in selecting flattering menswear. AA members say lose weight. Great help, gents. Bet he never thought of that one.

I don't even know who Ryan Gosling is, but here is a picture of him. That's pretty lean in my assessment. Perhaps my opinion is in the minority but if you want to dress like someone it seems to me that having at least some semblance of their body habitus might help. I certainly don't think thats insulting or condescending - just a bit of a reality check. So if you want to emulate Gosling perhaps leaning down a smidge might get you closer to that look. I certainly have heard my tailor tell me stories of how disappointed clients have been when he can't get them to look the way they want to look and he kind of has to give them the reality check. I am not saying the OP has to get to 10 pct body fat. But I am thinking that if he has a "look" in mind that his body can't support he will be very disappointed at the end result. Hence, my suggestion that at least a modest reduction in body weight will help him achieve his goal. Now if he had said he wanted to look like Chris Farley then I would have said gain weight first!

·
37,088 Posts
^^_1
Indeed, the OP's choice of memes was very specific and I am normally not one to blow sunshine up one's....well let's just say "where the sun don't shine!" I try to be honest and usefully specific in my responses. If that approach has offended anyone, I am truly sorry about that.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Sorry, but I have to ask.....how old are you? I'm no spring chicken (late 40s), and I feel like I'd have to have been living in a remote cave with no internet service - and certainly no access to movies - for the last ten years, not to know who Ryan Gosling is.
it is hardly unusual for intelligent men (regardless of age) to avoid, with magnificent intentionality, any knowledge of celebrity or pop culture.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
I knew who RG was from his movies, but had no idea how he dressed in "real" life, so I had to look that one up. Struck me as if he - for today's stars where t-shirts and sweats are common - dresses reasonably nicely - suits, ties, polo shirts, dress slacks, etc. And while he leans toward skinny trendy in fit (not my thing), he's head and shoulders above many of his peers and I can see why the OP saw him as a role model.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
it is hardly unusual for intelligent men (regardless of age) to avoid any knowledge of celebrity or pop culture with magnificent intentionality.
I'm not sure what magnificent intentionality is, but in the context of what we're talking about here, I'm guessing it would be an otherwise intelligent man who for some reason decided to live in a remote cave without internet accesss and not watch any major motion pictures. And these men are not unusual, apparently. They must not attend cocktail parties either.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
No need for the hostility, Mike. Many gents who attend cocktail parties and also occasionally watch films do so without ever taking an interest in actors or celebrities. We just don't care. The notion that this somehow makes us unsophisticated is actually pretty funny.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.