Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone forwarded an email to me with these, so I thought I'd share them with you, in case any of you are nostalgic. Do the Hustle!

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I think 70's suits look better than what is fashionable today. In all those pictures, the men wear their trousers at the waist and the jackets button at the waist. The low-rise trousers and high-buttoning point of suits today looks much worse than the wide lapels of the 1970's.

·
Registered
784 Posts
At least the common man was trying back then, unlike the past 20 years or so...

That's the way I see it.
Speaking from having been there, the common man wasn't trying very much. The catalogues were, but not the common man. If one worked for a firm you generaly were in Brooks attire. Otherwise most men were bums or in clown clothes. Liesure suits that made men look as if they were vacationing bus drivers, or hippie cothes that were the forerunner of today's bad clothes were the norm.

In teh fall of 1978 some sort of bell went off and narrow lapelled loose weave aports jackets with knit neck ties loosly knotted and worn away from the collar button started men's "soft" fashions. In 1980 when the Regan era took hold Brooks style clothing came back into it's own.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Believe it or not, back then when Jos. A. Bank was Jos. A. Bank as we knew and loved it (read full-on Ivy League manufacturing merchant) one year they actually sold double knit suits. These were dark days indeed and the sad thing is that this clothing had a half life greater that nuclear waste so you may still find some of this stuff out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.