Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a strong advocate for pomade and brilliantine, as against gels and sprays, I want to alert the membership of a new product which I found by accident while surfing the Net for Yardley Brilliantine, and that is something called "1940s Big Band Briliantine" made by a small outfit in NH. It is supposed to give the great shine and hold of classic brilliantine, with natural ingredients and local origination. So, I have purchased a tin which I hope to get next week, and will report back.

If others are trying to recreate that super shiny-hair look that Cary Grant used to sport so gallantly, you may also want to give this one a try.

Further in due course.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
1940's Big Band Brilliantine RIP Apparently

I have been very remiss in reviewing 1940's BBB and now it appears it is no more. I went to check the website and it is closed down. I am happy that I still have some of the product and will continue to enjoy it in my usual rotation, as long as it lasts. The product had some problems, but overall it was very good. The problems: (1) the container is like a shoe polish tin with nothing to help twist the top off. I suppose the best way is with a coin. If you didn't have a coin handy, however, and you were using it after a shower, it could be a chore to open, or worse the whole thing could slip out of one's hands and end up opening on the floor, top off and brilliantine making a mess on the tile. (2)The "fragrance" was not great. The successes: the brilliantine works very well, it adds shine and hold without a greasy look. You could use it lightly or heavily for the slicked-back look. It was inexpensive, and Renee, who was my contact with the company, is very nice. it was an excellent, product that gave clean hair a nice natural, shinny hold. If I could have, I would have bought more. And if I had written my review earlier, and sent a note back to Renee, I would have told her that with just a few minor adjustments she would have had a great product. I am sorry there' s no more 1940's Big Band Brilliantine to be had, probably another sad side effect of the Great Recession.

This is essentially for the record, only.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.