Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I gotten myself into?

Recently I bought 5 yards each of the 3 fabric samples pictured below (note that the blue in photo 1 is not quite so blue in reality - it has a lot more black in it) and sent them off to my tailor to be made into several 3-piece suits.

https://img383.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bluegraybrownml6.jpg

https://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=graysinglent1.jpg

The story on the fabrics is that they came from my favorite local woolen merchant, a very reputable man whose family business has been in the biz for nearly 100 years. A good guy I trust. Anyway, the merchant told me that he had picked up the bolts from an old tailor on the verge of retirement (or, possibly, death - I can't recall which) who had had them around for many years, had made some suits out of them back in the day for a few of his 'older' clients, etc., but because of the weight of each, there was no longer a market for them. Just too heavy, dated and Cagney-esque.

I snapped like a twig… The price: $100 smacks a yard.

Now here's the question for the fabric experts (Sator, Film Noir Buff, etc.): how is this stuff going to wear over time?

Or, to put it a little differently, how big an idiot am I?

Now obviously, these will not be every day suits. For one thing, they're heavy. Maybe 14 oz., which means they'll make for only special occasion, winter weight type suits (Christmas, New Years, a cold, blustery February funeral, the sit-down w/ Virgil Sollozzo, etc.), and not something to skulk around the office in. For another, they're just too nice.

So with the proper care, will they last forever or are they going to pile so much after only a few wearings that I'll look like a fuzz ball?

Very nice hand, too: soft, warm and supple as the peach fuzz around a woman's navel on a cold winter night: ethereal, corrupt, sublime. (As I write this, dark fantasies of fondling each suit's quarters drift through my transom.)

I'm betting they'll drape like the devil, too.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Ain't no Satre or Blaxploitation Movie Fanatic, but you might inquire as to reinforcement of the naughty bits ensconcement area via a thin variety of the dreaded pfhuzeeng. It might strengthen against the inevitable abrasion of el tango extremo or transom spelunking. Fondling fabric? Whatever turns you on. Just make sure it's of age and the "window treatments" are closed. I think there's a club for such what meets in Unitarian Church basements on Tues eves. (Psychotropics?)

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
They appear to be hard finished, tightly woven cloths. They should hold up fine. I'd treat them like woollen flannels- give them at least two days rest between wearings and they should last a long time.
The thing that gives cashmere the rep. for being fragile is the loose nappy weave commonly used- not the fiber itself.

FYI at 14 oz. you'll probably roast in all but outdoor winter conditions.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have several suits that are a wool blend with 5% cashmere for drape ....

At 100% cashmere, I wouldn't have done it. I love casmere sweaters and scarves, but I don't like cashmere ties. They always seem to deteriate fastly. If it is good casmere, it probably won't pill, but it may wear excessively, especially in the seat. Keep us apprised on whether this is a succesful venture or another example of conspicuous consumption.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. Useful info.

And Jamgood, thank you most particularly. As usual, a splendid, scintillating post… On the other hand, you might consider about cutting back on the bedtime Percy: i-rone-ee being vera buh-lunt tool in-deed. (Or, are you just flirting w/ your own hand? …You minx, you!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.