Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly small build and have been toying with the idea of getting 1 inch cuffs (as opposed to my typical 1.25 inch cuffs) on a new suit I purchased last week.

This is going to be a fairly slim fitting suit after some alterations. I've noted over the years that most men wearing slim fitting suits opt out of cuffs all together.

I'd prefer to be traditional and keep the cuffs, but I'd like to get them as small as possible while having them still look normal (the larger the cuff, the shorter in stature I will seem).

Does anyone have a take on my potential 1 inch cuffs...or maybe as a smaller guy I should be opting out of cuffs all together?

Thanks.

·
Site Creator
13,194 Posts
NYTrad:

1.5 inch cuffs are standard but you can go more or less depending on your height and style.

Just go to the Trouser Chapter in your copy of The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes (you do have one don't you? :icon_smile: ) where you'll find:

Cuffs are de rigueur with pleated pants especially suit trousers and look great on casual pants too. They also serve a function of adding extra weight to the bottom allowing the pants to hang better.
Some stores discourage cuffs because it's more expensive for them to put on, so you may have to insist on cuffs. If you're under 5' 10" and you've told that cuffs make you look shorter, ignore that outdated advice, and just have the tailor make the cuff 1 ¼ "instead of the average 1 ½". The same logic makes sense for those of you over 6' - try 1 ¾" cuffs.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
My strongly held conviction is that the size of one's cuffs do NOTHING to alter perceptions as to one's height. (I presume that is what you're getting at.) When you are estimating the height of another human being, do you look at their ankles? No, you look at the height of the person's eyes, head, and shoulders relative to yours.

In fact, NONE of the various tricks to "look taller" work, unless you count elevator shoes. All a short man can (or should) try to do is look proportional. But no clothing will convince someone that you are 6' tall if you measure 5'4". Get over it and own it.

If you are small in height and width and depth, then scaling down proportions generally may work well, including cuffs. That said, some very well-dressed gentlemen who happen to be short have stuck with the usual dimensions on things like cuffs, ties, and lapels, to good effect. If you inclination is to downsize all your accents and details, then cuffs should follow. The converse would be true as well, I think.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My strongly held conviction is that the size of one's cuffs do NOTHING to alter perceptions as to one's height. (I presume that is what you're getting at.) When you are estimating the height of another human being, do you look at their ankles? No, you look at the height of the person's eyes, head, and shoulders relative to yours.

In fact, NONE of the various tricks to "look taller" work, unless you count elevator shoes. All a short man can (or should) try to do is look proportional. But no clothing will convince someone that you are 6' tall if you measure 5'4". Get over it and own it.

If you are small in height and width and depth, then scaling down proportions generally may work well, including cuffs. That said, some very well-dressed gentlemen who happen to be short have stuck with the usual dimensions on things like cuffs, ties, and lapels, to good effect. If you inclination is to downsize all your accents and details, then cuffs should follow. The converse would be true as well, I think.
Thanks for the input. Not necessarily trying to look taller, just trying not to look stumpy. A 1.5 inch cuff on a person with longer legs may be fine, but someone with shorter legs (like myself) definitely needs something proportionally smaller.

You are correct, I do downsize all of my accents - narrower ties, narrower lapels, and shorter cuffs. I'm just trying to figure out how short the cuffs can go (1 inch or 1.25 inches).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMHO, one inch cuffs would look worse than no cuffs at all. Why not just skip the cuffs? :icon_scratch:
Thanks. I tend to lean toward the traditional look (flat front with cuffs), hence why I would prefer not to skip the cuffs.

I'd like the cuffs as small as possible while not looking overly small. I think the consensus so far has been 1.25, any thoughts?

BTW I am 5'4'' if that means anything.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
FWIW, I work with a gentleman who is about 5'6", and his standard 1.5 inch cuffs do not look out of place (he also wears his jackets about an inch and a half long by my standard), but I wouldn't go smaller than 1 1/4. 1" is a bit small.....

·
Registered
384 Posts
Nay. 1" will look cheap, and I have a feeling it may not hold its shape. 1 1/4" will be clean and crisp, and I think it will be preferable to, and better-finished than, no cuffs. BTW, what does your tailor say?

Sounds like you have a wise approach in general. As I get older, the concept of proportionality - in everything, not just material things -- becomes more and more important to me.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Thanks. I tend to lean toward the traditional look (flat front with cuffs), hence why I would prefer not to skip the cuffs.
:icon_scratch: The pairing of flat-fronts with cuffs is in no way more "traditional" than pairing cuffs with pleats or FF's with plain hems...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Trust me and from my personal experience, for smaller built guys, flat-front-no-cuff trousers are much more flattering. You get better proportion and can look lean and neat. Maybe not the most traditional way, but in my humble opinion, to look the best is more important than to look "traditional".

·
Registered
27,638 Posts
I like cuffs. I do feel it helpfull to proportion cuff depth slightly to leg length though not height. I'm of roughly average height but have very short legs, with a 29 inseam. I find a 1 1/4 cuff works better than the standard 1 1/2. But 1 inch might look too shallow.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
OP,

. There are certainly enough times in life that one's preferences go by the wayside. Since you "prefer to be traditional and keep the cuffs" that's what you should do. As to proportion consider that 1.5 " is to 1" as 72" is to 48". That is to say the proportion of a 1 1/2 inch cuff to a 6 foot man is a 1 inch cuff on a 4 foot man. I don't know your height but 1 1`/4 inch is as low as you should go. Probably 1 3/8 inch will be closer to being truly proportional. Any way if you tire of cuffs you can always have them taken off.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Nay. 1" will look cheap, and I have a feeling it may not hold its shape. 1 1/4" will be clean and crisp, and I think it will be preferable to, and better-finished than, no cuffs. BTW, what does your tailor say?
^^ I got some khakis from the thrift with 1" cuffs, and this is true. Had to go cuffless on them. Well made wool probably better, but I would still go for 1 1/4 or 1 1/2"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.